Yamaha 01V96

p3schwa

You don't say if you are using Studio Manager or just the fron pannel.

I'll assume you are using the front pannel.

You will need to modify the patch of the desk as the defult patch isn't configured like this.

I'll assume that you already have the external input routed correctly.

press SELECT on the channel you wish to apply reverb to.

press VIEW (gray display access button on the left of the desk)

there are two pages of tabs so press the left arrow under the screen once to make sure you are on the first set of tabs.

press F1 to select the PARAMETER page.

at the top of the screen in the middle should be a section containing INSERT OFF IN OUT and a couple of dashed boxes

move your cursor up to where is says OFF and press enter - this should go dark and say ON

move down to the first dashed box and use the jog wheel to select FX 1-1 - press enter to select

move down to the second dashed box and use the jog wheel to select FX 1-1 press enter to select.

This should give you what you've asked for.

Please note that if you have a defult patch loaded the output of FX1 will also be fed to Stereo1 so either depatch this or ignore it.

Hope this helps, please ask if there is anything else.

James

• 3 months later...

Yup. For things like reverbs which are often wanted on multiple channels at the same time, it's normal to use Aux sends and returns.

Just set up the input to the effect to be one of your Aux Sends and bring the effect back onto the mixing surface, most conveniently on a spare fader. Done this way, you can add your effect to as many channels as you want to route to the Aux send.

Clearly this works well for things like verbs but is not so suitable for things like compression or gating which are better as inserts.

Bob

Thank you,Bobbsy

But I just received my 01v96 v2 today so I need a simple explanation ( like james here ), telling me exactly what to do.

" Just setup the input to the effect ", yes but how do I do all this things.

The 01v96 is so complex if you are a newby

I am also looking for simple tutorials telling me what is aux sends, what is patch etc. etc., en explaining the structure of this machine.

Maybe you will tell me exactly what to do !!!!

Second problem : I just connected a new shure sm58, but to get sound I have to open the gain to full -60 ( maximum ) without getting a clipping signal. Did I buy the wrong microphone ???

Ah, sorry. With the change of names I didn't twig you were the original poster.

I'm not going to attempt to give you a step by step instruction (hopefully somebody else can) because it's a year or so since I used an 01V...I have the next model up which is similar but I'd be scared there are enough differences to be confusing if I based instructions on that.

I also don't know of any tutorial sites, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are such things. However, one resource you might try is the 01V96 user group in Yahoo Groups. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/ and enter 01V96 in the search box and you should get registration details. There are some very knowledgeable users over there.

A second suggestion (possibly controversial) is that you might want to beg/borrow/steal a basic analogue board and have a play with that. All the functions on the 01V are named and labelled to behave like an analogue mixer...but how things work is easier to see on the older technology. Once you get your head around what all these things do in the analogue domain, I suspect that the digital desk will suddenly make a lot more sense.

Good luck with finding tutorials...if I hear of any, I'll certainly post here!

Edit to respond the the second query: It depends what you want to do. The SM58 is an okay microphone for live sound reinforcement work but, because of this, it's designed basically to handle a singer belting out a tune with the mic almost touching the mouth. This makes it not very sensitive if you're trying to use it for distant or quieter sources. I use an SM58 from time to time with my board (which has the same mic preamps) and I can certainly light the clip light with a typical vocalist up close.

Bob

Second problem : I just connected a new shure sm58, but to get sound I have to open the gain to full -60 ( maximum ) without getting a clipping signal. Did I buy the wrong microphone ???

I may be misinterpreting this, and I don't know quite how much of a newbie you are, but have you actually selected it as a mic rather than line level channel.

the microphone is connected to the trs connector ( na phantom power on this micerophone ) , pad is not pushed, gain is turned full to the right, then the signal is just good, but it is very difficult to get it clipped.

Still want some advice in detail how to get an effect using aux buses.

Bobbsy wrote this is also possible. But I need the information in detail what to day, because the 01v96 v2 arrived just today, and find the manual very difficult.

Which input are you using for the microphone?

Although not standard (usually the XLR is used for mics) the TRS inputs on 1-12 CAN take mic level, but inputs 13-16 are for line level sources only. This could be your problem, otherwise I'll go back to my guess that it's just a quiet source working to a close vocal mic.

Bob

paulifra

I'm an engineer at a little broadcast facilities house in west london.

I do "simple training sessions" for our editors and assistants. These just cover the basics of the desk and last about 8 hours. I also tend to do a refresher a few months later as that much information takes a while to sink in.

It just so happens that we've taken a delivery of another 9 01v96s yesterday so I have a couple behind my desk waiting for the other 6 to arrive (we couldn't find anyone with 15 in stock so they have come from multiple suppliers)

So,

Please remember that there is very rarely one way to do things on these desks.

Anyone who uses it for a while will pick up there favourite way of doing it and this might be different - this is just A way of doing it.

The 01v96 has 4 effects units inside the mixer. <disclaimer> assuming you are not working 96K </disclaimer>

In order to use the effects units something needs to be patched to their input and something to their output.

In the Default setting of the mixer Aux 1 is routed to the input of Effect 1 and Effect 1's output goes to Stereo 1.

To check that your mixer is still patched as default Press the [PATCH] button (in the DISPLAY ACCESS section on the top left)

Accross the bottom of the LCD screen are 4 tabs by the 4 function keys. Use the [<] [>] keys either side of the function keys until EFFECT appears above [F3], Press [F3]

This shows the Effect patch. You should see the 4 effect engines shown on the screen and 8 dashed boxes down the left for the 4 stereo inputs and 8 dashed boxes on the right for the 8 stereo outputs.

Normaly the top left box says {AUX1} If not use the cursor keys to move the highlight there, when there turn the large wheel until AUX 1 appears - remember you will need to press [ENTER] otherwise nothing will be changed.

Likewise check that OUT1 and OUT2 of EFFECT1 are showing {ST|1 L} and {ST|2 R}

OK Now Effect unit 1 should be patched to something usable.

Now you need to turn the return from the effects unit up.

On the right of the mixer are 2 grey knobs labled as ST IN 1/3 and ST IN 2/4 Above them is a button [sT IN] next to 2 LEDs The LED by 1 and 2 should be illuminated. If the LED by 3 and 4 is illuminated then press [sT IN] once so the LED changes.

now Press the [sEL] button above ST IN 1/3,

now press the [VIEW] button in the Display access section (top left of the mixer)

Under the LCD Press [f2] to get the FADER tab shown in the main window. (You might have to press the [<] button to get FADER)

You should have a graphic reprisentation of the virtual fader for stereo input 1 of the mixer showing in the LCD.

Turn the grey knob ST IN 1/3 until the fader is 3/4 of the way up and something like 0.0 is shown underneath the fader. (it doesn't have to be too accurate for this excersice. You also want to check that your Stereo Input is routed somewhere sensible at this point. I'm assuming you are monitoring the Stereo output of the desk.

Look at the little boxes labled BUS ROUTING on the right of the virtual fader in the screen.

The one at the bottom left is {S} and should be black with a white letter.

If not use the arrow keys by the big wheel to move the flasing box over the {s} and press [ENTER]

As we are feeding the effects unit with the output of Aux 1 it would be worth checking that the Aux 1 master is up.

Press the [MASTER] button on the layer select section.

The faders should all jump to the top.

If not fade up the furthest left to the top and check that the orange light is on it's [ON] button. If not press it.

Now your reverb unit is patched in it is time to pass some audio through it.

I assume you have audio already passing through the desk.

Press the [1-16] button on the layer select section to get back to the first 16 inputs.

Take a fader that you have audio passing through - fade it up to hear something. (can we assume fader 1 for simplicity at this point - substitute with whatever fader you have audio passing through)

In the FADER MODE section press [AUX 1]

All the faders should shoot down at this point.

gradualy bring up fader 1, At this point you should start to hear the effects of the reverb. The more you bring up the fader the more the reverb affects your audio.

when you are happy press [HOME] in the FADER MODE section to get back to where you were.

A nice thing to do at this point is to have a look at the metering.

If [F1] has the CH1-32 tab then press it to display the input metering for the mono input channels.

You should see your audio coming into your channel.

Above [F4] is EFFECT. Press it.

You will now see the input and output metering for the 4 effects units.

above [F2] is ST IN

You will now see the output of EFFECT1 coming into 1L and 1R

_ _ _

Of course at this point you will want to change the settings of the EFFECT to what you want rather than the defult (REVERB HALL)

Press the [EFFECT] DISPLAY ACCESS button to show the effect parameters in the LCD window.

Press [F1] which should be FX1 EDIT (if not press the [<] button) to see the parameters for EFFECT1

The Top half of the screen shows you information about what type of effect it is, the bottom half shows the parameters. Move the falshing box arround and experiment changing parameters.

To try a different type of effect press [>] [f1] (FX 1 LIB) use the wheel to position the box on an effect you like the sound of, Use the arrow keys to put the flashing box on load and press [ENTER]

Now press [<] [F1] (FX 1 EDIT) to play with this one.

Repeat.

Hope this helps - any questions please get in touch.

James

Thank you james for this wonderfull explanation.

I did a lot of work past weeks, by diving in the digital mixer world and buying one, but never met on the internet ( till now ) such a wonderfull detailed explanation. Even a little child can work this out.

After three times doing this lesson ecxactly pressing the knobs I did not hear any effect in the final sound, so my hart started beating maybe I had a faulty 01v96 v2.

But !!! congratulations I just discovered the st in 1 button has to be pressed to on for hearing the effects.

I did the whole exercise with 1 line in, but the strange thing is I get sound on 2 channels, left and right.

All problems solved now for effects, but still I have the microphone problem.

Shure sm58 microphone connected to trs connector without phantom. For I decent signal I have to turn the gain full to the right ( -60 ), and it is just not clipping when I hold the mic about 5 cm ( two inches away ) . Is thi type of microphone not sensitive enough ???

paulifra

Good to know you got your effects sorted.

The effects generators are "clever" give them a mono source and they will give a stereo output, many traditional effects units work like this.

regarding your microphone.

we don't often use these mixers with microphones, when we do they are often placed about 3-4" in front of the producer, generaly they need full gain and the pad out to get a sensible level out of the mixer. However we always use the XLR socket. (though in theory there should be no difference.)

The Pad should be off (Button out)

For an SM58 at a quiet speaking level I would expect the gain to be somewhere between -40 and -60.

One thing to check is that you have the jack plugged into the INPUT not the INSERT - The INPUT is the one below the XLR, the INSERT is the one above the PAD.

If you are using an XLR to TRS (Jack) cable and are still having problems I might check how the cable is wired, it might be an unbalanced plug, Check to see if the plug is Balanced TRS (Tip Ring Sleve) or if it is unbalanced TS (Tip Sleve only)

TRS is frequently called a "Stereo" jack and TS is frequently called a "Mono" jack.

If you can replace it with an XLR lead then try that.

let us know how you get on.

James

Archived