Tascam MD-301MK 2

cknapper

Hi all,

We have the above MD player, But in the past 4 days it has wiped a Disk Twice, 2 diffrent Disk's. Both Disk have been Write Protected and both wiped.

We clean it Every Mth. This had only happened to me once befroe and we had to get rid of the Same Make of MD player.

Any one got any ideas before I trash this one.

Carl

Are you sure that you are not wrecking the laser alignment in the cleaning process? Once slightly off, as soon as the toc can't be read it thinks it is either a damaged or blank MD - may be worth testing the so called erased disk on another machine. After damaging my original, cleaning, I've started using an air spray to de-dust the lens - never had any problems since - touch wood, very reliable machines.

hi

our thearte had some sony machines which after a year in use all of a sudden was wiping disks, there was a big thing bout it on a forum, same model, infact several other makes who use sony MD bits had same problem. I actually have a Tascam MD301MK2 and touch wood so far been ok

Dan

We had several Denon (particular model illudes me) players that started with this behaviour as well as a Tascam model. After some investigations (and many phone calls) the end result was the death of the drive itself that read/writes the disk. (mainly the writing). The cost of the repairs were in excess of the usefullness of the players and all have since met their maker.

We no longer use minidisc and phone calls to Denon and Sony confirmed the cease in production of their professional drives (in favour of other formats).

You may be out of luck.....

To the future!

Poppadom

Until recently I was using a Sony MDS-JA3ES. Purchased at the beginning of 1997, after 4 years it started exhibiting similar behaviour (although I don't remember it happening to a write-protected disk). Sent for repair it was diagnosed as needing a new sled motor (which I believe drives the laser across the disk). This was replaced at a cost of £107, compared with the original cost of £600. Four years on it started misbehaving again and I decided that I didn't want to spend another £100+ on an ageing machine. I have pensioned the machine off and purchased a Tascam MD-350. This happily reads a five year-old disk which the Sony claimed was unreadable.

For some years I have been using canned air to clear dust inside the machine, particularly when about to record or edit. A couple of caveats - assuming it is a can with an extension tube, 1) don't push the tube too far in the slot to avoid damaging the lens assembly either by physical contact or the strength of the air blast and 2) don't blow too long or the chilling effect may cause condensation on the lens.

Archived