USA / UK differences?

Bennage

I'm baby sitting the building at the moments whilst all the stage electrics are being replaced, and am getting very bored. Nosing about I found a book circa 1957 called "A Stage Crew Handbook". Flicking through glaring mis-spellings leapt out at metill I realised it's an American book, with a comprehensive glossary. Most terms have already been covered, but I have unearthed a few more.

Grand Drape = House Border

Bridge/Teaser = Furthest DS LX bar

Arbor/Carriage = Counterweight Cradle

Trim Clamp = Brake

Union Grid = Permanent Counterweight System

Loose Grid = Hemps

The Asbestos = Safety Curtain

But most worryingly, "ASBESTOS CONNECTOR - Has two holes to take the two asbestos covered lead wires that come from the instrument."! ;)

As I said though it was 1957.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lightnix
"A Stage Crew Handbook".

Looks like it's still available 2nd hand through amazon. Unfortunately there's no picture, so I can't(?) add a link ;)

Its ISBN No. is 0060315601.

when I was working at the new theatre in oxford, the fosse show was crewed by americans, they didn't get prompt side and OP, and when the prod chippy (6foot 8 and brick out house) stood in the middle of the stage and asked for 2 guys to help him bottom pipe...............

what he ment was conduit the cloths.

they also didn't have a clue when it came to packing the truck, and they had spec'd drain powerlock as the imput to the transformer, thinking they were the same as camlocks and wonderd why nobody would make them a set of jumps..........

• 4 weeks later...
when I was working at the new theatre in oxford, the fosse show was crewed by americans, they didn't get prompt side and OP,

What is the american term for this? I just usually use stage right and stage left, sometimes PS and OP, depending on what venue I'm in but what's used in the US??

I'm originally Canadian although I moved to the UK about 30 years ago.

Prompt Side and Off Prompt were completely new terms to me when I got here...I was used to calling it just by Stage Right, Stage Left etc.

Bob

I heard that you only need to use a safety chain/cable if the lantern is over the audience. Don't count on that though!

Much as I've met actors whose manner would be improved by an Parcan protruding from the cranium, this is most certainly NOT true.

Bob

Load In = Get In

= Bump In

And which side is Prompt Side?

Prompt is stage left, audience right. It is the traditional location of "Prompt Corner" (where the SM sits at the Prompt Desk if they are calling from the stage). Some people like to screw with peoples heads and have the prompt desk Opposite Prompt

I am currently on tour in the US of A and all I can say is there are not much differences as it mainly all the same stuff with a few differences its takes a bit of time to get a hang of the electrics--- voltage being so low and wacky little plugs that are a tad scary and almost like toys other than that same show different country

Mark W-E

when I was working at the new theatre in oxford, the fosse show was crewed by americans, they didn't get prompt side and OP,

What is the american term for this? I just usually use stage right and stage left, sometimes PS and OP, depending on what venue I'm in but what's used in the US??

There is no "American" term for Prompt Side. :rolleyes: We call it Stage Left!

it takes a bit of time to get a hang of the electrics--- voltage being so low and wacky little plugs that are a tad scary and almost like toys other than that same show different country

A little bit scary?

I don't know how come more American theatres don't burn to the ground! I find more often than not that American electrics are more than just a little scary!

Rob.

Archived