Musical theatre - attaching mics to actor's heads

Shez

Morning folks,

I've got a musical coming up in a few weeks which'll use half a dozen radio mics (Sony freedoms with Senn MKE2 flesh capsules). My understanding was that it was generally done using a loop of elastic around the head with the wire twisted around one side & the capsule sticking through a mini loop at the front so it would just protrude from the hairline.

Having tried that over the weekend, it didn't seem particularly good from the perspective of arranging the elastic to not foul up the hair completely. I'm aware of using micro-pore tape on the back of the neck & a strip at the top of the forehead, but can anyone offer any more ideas for what to do with the wire between the forehead & back of the neck?

There are no wigs & a couple of the males have quite short (dark) hair. I'm thinking of getting a couple of black capsules as well to use on them so the cable is less intrusive.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shez

Thanks - must've been using the wrong search terms...

I was trying the elastic thing yesterday with the girlfriend - we couldn't get it in a position where the elastic wasn't causing chronic hair problems (does that sound dodgy? :) )

Can anyone offer any specific tips for sorting out the elastic? I know it's difficult to describe in writing but any info would be useful.

Thanks.

I've got a musical coming up <snip>which'll use half a dozen radio mics<snip>with Senn MKE2 flesh capsules<snip>There are no wigs & a couple of the males have quite short (dark) hair.

How about getting them to stick the capsule to the side of their faces using "toupe tape", clear double-sided sticky tape designed to hold wigs on?

I'm doing panto at the moment with 14 radio mics - Beauty and the Beast - we have a latex mask that covers the top half of the beasts head and face.

I am using several methods:

Dame: wears numerous wigs with a hairnet underneath. So we run the mic lead up his back, under the hairnet and it peeks out on the hairline at centre of forehead. Works fine, even with quick changes of costumer, wig and hat (he has about 14 costume changes, including wig and hat)

Da Vinci Da Wizard (don't ask) wears a Wizard pointy hat - he has a 4cm stretch hairband under it, so we do the same as the Dame but with the hairband to secure it. the width of the band means it is comfortable

Veronique, the french maid (!) - not a very powerful voice - has to be on the hairline - simply run through the hair and secure with hairgrips.

Most Male leads (except Beast) - all bar one, who is using a mic clipped on his costume, have theirs over their ears, point down towards the mouth. Secured in front of ear, behind ear and on nape of neck with Superdrug transparent waterproof tape - remove makeup/sweat with surgical spirit first. The tape is almost invisible and takes makeup.

Remaining female leads are also using this position, but secured with hairgrips plus tape on nape.

Beast had lead running over ear but mic head is on cheek, below lower edge of mask. Again secured with the Superdrug tape. It works better than micropore and leaves very little residue on removal.

I generally discuss the fitting with each actor, since it depends on their costumes, changes etc to some degree. Also, most of them are experienced with radio mics and know what works for them. If there's a problem I have the final say!

Thanks for the advice, especially D_Korman. Looks like hairgrips & superdrug tape it is!

Now all I have to do is explain all this to actors & directors who've never had any experience of these things...

The best way I find to find out where works best is the day of the 'fashion parade', where they all wear their costumes and makeup etc, grab a wireless mic, and output it on a couple of pairs of headphones. Just place the microphone on a number of places on the actor and give them a set of headphones, keeping one for yourself. Find the location you think sounded best, then confirm with them, get them to hold it there, and attempt to run the cable. It also helps impart how important a good placement is.

Greetings peeps...

Just to add to the conversation about different tapes, I find that Hyperfix tape works superbly in most situations. You cant normally get it off the shelf, but any decent pharmacist can order it in for about £3 to £4 a roll.

The tape is designed for use on medical dressings on joints like the knee and elbow so is really tough, but it's perforated in the same way as micropore tape and is therefore pretty resistant to sweat.

It does sometimes pay to put a piece on the skin first, then put the microphone on top, with another piece stuck over the mic and onto the tape below.

If applying make-up over the top (often the case of course), it's best to use either dry make-up, or use a very lightly moitened spone (or finger!!)

Hope this helps

I was trying the elastic thing yesterday with the girlfriend - we couldn't get it in a position where the elastic wasn't causing chronic hair problems (does that sound dodgy? :( )

Unless its a very elaborate hairdo, you can use the tail of a tailcomb to sort it out. The elastic goes on over the hair, and then follow the line of the elastic round with the 'tail' to fish out the hair thats trapped under it.

You can buy clear elastic from most decent haberdashers (John Lewis usually stock it). Thats particularly good, if you keep it flat where it crosses the forehead its hard to see, and can be touched up with a bit of foundation to make it even more inconspicuous.

Wig clips are good too, if you can find them. 2 or 3 tied to the cable (easily done with a needle and thread), and you can just take the cable straight up over the top of the head clipping in into the hair. Again use your tailcomb to sort out any hair that's trapped under the cable. Much more reliable than tape, though you still might want a bit of tape at the nape of the neck.

hth

Sean

(who wasn't always a rigger) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add, I have always used the Senn MK2s with Senn EW100 bodypack transmitters, then run the cable up the back, taped to the back of the neck, (nake sure you turn the head to the opposite direction you are going to put the mic on the cheek so it doesn't become tight when the performer turns their head) then put the cable over the ear (tape it if need be), and then finally tape it to the cheek. I have always preferred the left, but alot of my cast prefer the right for some reason. Just preference though. I have always supplied my cast with 3M transpore tape, this seems to work excellently, and is hypo-allergenic.

Lawrie

Luminaires Theatrical Company

Archived