Ear Protection

God_Is_A_DJ

When do you wear ear protection? Do you use it whenever you are working on a show that has something loud in it or just when you are doing a heavy metal concert? I found this;

115 Decibels.

Sandblasting, loud rock concert, auto horn; 15 minutes per day is the maximum exposure without protection.

From - http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hearing/noise_hearing.cfm

It also says;

'Does The Length Of Time I Hear A Noise Have Anything To Do With The Danger To My Hearing?

It certainly does. The longer you are exposed to a loud noise, the more damaging it may be. Also, the closer you are to the source of intense noise, the more damaging it is.'

That would suggest to me that it is worth wearing them every time you do a loud show.

What about waring them when firing pyro, especially if you are the closest to the device (as you should be), after hearing about 8 theatrical flashes every day for 2 months on a panto run, it could have an effect couldn't it?

Hi I use Er15's from Eclin, I also have the ER 20 Inserts that I change over if I am working on-stage near PA/Mointors/Backline, I used the cheap plugs before that, But as some of you Have found you get severe comb filtering.

My only comment would be "There is no price to expensive to save your hearing but also to enable you, especially if you are a soundie to undertake your job successfully now and in the future.

Danny

I got mine from Stringbusters. £10 inc. delivery.

Alternativly for more there is the dealer page on the Etymotic website.

Thanks for that - 1 pair ordered.

I've looked at these before and stupidly put it off for too long. Suffered after being a punter at a particularly raucus R&B gig on Saturday night (Wilko Johnson Band at Walkern Sports Club), not helped by having a cold. And have had a few similar experiences with a few days residual hearing loss & whistling.

Now just need to remember to take them and wear the bloomin things at loud gigs...

Archived