tension wire grids

tivoliproduction

Wrong End Of The Stick!!!

Am I right in thinking that this "Cable Net" is to stop riggers & people (needing to be) on catwalks etc falling all the way down. Any visiting production would need to rig any truss or P.A. clusters or set etc below this netting grid. The steels etc would pass through the netting to be secured to the load bearing roof.

As for safety bonds, all lanterns & luminaires should come with these as standard, these days. If you dont use them, they will at best get jammed in the yoke...................a pain it the butt with your conventional lantern, or serious expensive damage with an automated fixture. And they ALWAYS can get lost (yet another bill from your rental company).

Wrong End Of The Stick!!!

Am I right in thinking that this "Cable Net" is to stop riggers & people (needing to be) on catwalks etc falling all the way down.

No.

The discussion is about Tension Wire Grids. They effectively replace the need for cat walks with a cable wire ceiling which can be lit through.

See here:

http://www.thecablenet.net/brighton.php which also answers the question about places in the south of England.

We also have one at Hampstead and very nice it is too - ours is raked!

T

Surely it's sensible to preserve the twg for what it was made for - walking on.

Any additional loads should surely be avoided?

I think the post about a fallen lantern breaking up is a good point. Lamp hits mesh and bounces, shatters lens, whatever.

A new hazard created by eliminating a more severe one.

Likelihood? Quite high I should think in a large venue with a big rig.

I would advise continued use of safety bonds; it isn't that much of an effort, is it?

I would say it would depend on the type of lantern. A simple fresnel or Parcan falling onto the grid would stay in one piece and would never fall through.

The point about larger/more fragile fixtures breaking and then pieces falling through is very valid though. If the bar it more than 4ft off the ground a scanner dropping would definitely break into multiple pieces, potentially small enough to fall through.

Even taking into account of the second point I would still use safeties anyway. They need to be used everywhere else so its not worth removing them from the lantern (you'd never have enough when you needed one), and anyway as far as I'm concerned if its not a capitve safety bond it should be cable tied onto the yoke/lantern body anyway.

I would say it would depend on the type of lantern. A simple fresnel or Parcan falling onto the grid would stay in one piece and would never fall through.

I wouldn't bet on that. I've seen several parcan lamps shatter into small fragments when dropped.

I've even found one that appeared to have shattered spontaneously - it went before I joined the ship, so I don't know exactly what happened. Thankfully the grid inside caught most of it.

forgotten the hall3 twg. Been a few years since been up there. will be there in a few weeks so will report anything new! Quite a lot of european theatres have them too, and I have always treated them regarding safeties etc as the same as to mesh. tools still fall through etc. Also, if a lantern is rigged a few feet above the grid and is safetied, if it does fall it should stop via the safety far earlier than the mesh, therefore being far less likely to dislodge bits in the first place.

Archived