Dancing On Ice

Jamtastic3

I can certainly ask a few questions of the boys at HSL, although it might be their hi def LED tiles that they used for the flooring of x-factor placed under the ice, there called I-ties and were part of the deal involving the softLED led curtain (again used on x-factor) all of which came from colour kinetics I believe.

I'll see what I can do!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has nobody considered that it may be a couple of projectors and an EVS or Catalyst? if it's projected straight downwards than you'll only get shadows of the performers directly below them, and you won't see those as they're in head to foot followspot.

Tim

Has nobody considered that it may be a couple of projectors and an EVS or Catalyst?
Yes, we certainly HAVE considered projectors, but if you read the posts the question is if they are, then what type, as they're very clear and detailed, with no obvious 'join'.

I would just like to point out to you all that from my experience of designing for Ice Rinks, my brother being an international skating competitor, and my mother being on the committee for Bracknell Ice Skating Club that it is completely unfeesable for LED panels to be used inder the ice. What you actually see when you are at an Ice Rink is obviously the ICE, all 3cm of it, directly under which is a layer of solid concrete which is where the 'advertising' is done by painting onto this surface. Under the concrete are miles and miles, quite literally, of piping through which is flowed Brine to lower the temperarture of the surface above, essentially freezing the water laid down by the resurfacers during a 'cut'. This therefore completely rules out the possibilities of any lighting, or other, fixtures being used under the ice all together!

Under the concrete are miles and miles, quite literally, of piping through which is flowed Brine to lower the temperarture of the surface above, essentially freezing the water laid down by the resurfacers during a 'cut'. This therefore completely rules out the possibilities of any lighting, or other, fixtures being used under the ice all together!
I am sure you are correct that it is not feasible to have lighting fixtures under the ice, but I have worked events where there were microphones under the ice. When the Goodwill Games were at Nassau Colesium in New York, there were Sanken mics mounted on the cement before the rink was flooded for freezing. The mics were used as effects mics for television, to pick up the sound of the skaters blades on the ice. Since it was a figure skating event, where there is very little sound from the skates I don't think it was very effective. It was tried however, because it had previously been successful in hockey arenas.

Mac

Hello all,

Had a call from various sources at HSL today, can confirm that it is deffinatly not under the ice, and that if they told me what it was they would have to kill me.

will be up there soon to talk shop so I'll see if I can find out anything more!

ta

tank

Had a call from various sources at HSL today, can confirm that it is deffinatly not under the ice, and that if they told me what it was they would have to kill me.

LOLOLOL!!! :mods: :angry: :angry:

Don't you just LOVE intrigue and mystery!!!

<_<

I'm still sticking with it being Vari*Lite 3000's or 3500's, if it was video projection then I would of thought it would be more animated, from what I've seen it's moving lights not video projection. My suspisions are particularly confirmed after reading:-

As someone who was around HSL (as a full time employee, then a freelancer) when the job was being put together, it is defantly a HSL job, and as far as I am aware the kit is a combination of mac's, VL's and possibly some robe stuff.

EDIT: Just watched one of the clips on the website and you actually see the gobo's scrolling through before it reaches the right one, this certainly wouldn't happen on digital projection!

So you are suggesting that for a TV show in a studio, the ice contractors laid hose, then poured concrete, then water?

Me thinks they would probably use something like this: http://www.ice-world.nl/en/index.html

Which could *possibly* have something frozen into it.... maybe something like this: http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/flexslx/

Obviously in this case they are using R18s, but just thinking out-loud.

I would just like to point out to you all that from my experience of designing for Ice Rinks, my brother being an international skating competitor, and my mother being on the committee for Bracknell Ice Skating Club that it is completely unfeesable for LED panels to be used inder the ice. What you actually see when you are at an Ice Rink is obviously the ICE, all 3cm of it, directly under which is a layer of solid concrete which is where the 'advertising' is done by painting onto this surface. Under the concrete are miles and miles, quite literally, of piping through which is flowed Brine to lower the temperarture of the surface above, essentially freezing the water laid down by the resurfacers during a 'cut'. This therefore completely rules out the possibilities of any lighting, or other, fixtures being used under the ice all together!

Archived