Dancing On Ice

Jamtastic3

Yes I am also aware of this, as my other brother (there aren't any more) owns and manages an outdoor ice rink, in the centre of London over the Christmas period which is the same portable style! And putting lights into the ice on one of those is very nearly impossible as the distance between the ice and the aluminium is very low on these, due to temperatures of the ice (it will become water with anything blocking the cooling root).

But thank you for taking the effort to spot the 'flaw' in my statement.

Lawrie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A touring ice rink is slightly different to an installation. as already mentioned a installation is only 3cm thick, where a touring rink is approximately 3-5 inches thick. Also as I mentioned when there was only about 20 posts on this topic it is not possible for anything to be mounted in the ice, I'm currently touring with a ice show, it would be nice, but it isnt possible to do so on a temporary system. temporary rinks dont use concrete, in fact we play large venues in most cases and we use there stage with 2 pool liners on top + all the chilling equipment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just got back from dancing on ice.. the tour..

Amazing tecy stuff there!

Loads of great lighting effects.. 8 followspots.. etc etc.

But yes.. the progections onto the ice.. for the tour.. are from overhead machines... they are using four to cover the rink.... they were not video progections.. looked like something with gobos.

The 'ice' effects which light up behind the judges are plastic shapes.. then they ahev a number of macs behind to light it.

Hi, I am also working the Dancing On Ice Tour, The gobo projection over the main ice pad is provided by Robe Colour Spot 2500E's (Electronic Ballast version), the colour wash is done using Mac 2000 wash, and the ground level lighting is done via Mac 700's. The video/animation Projection is done via 8 Barco projectors flown in the rig, the same projectors are used to rear project the camera feeds onto three big screens at the back of the ice pad to allow the people sitting up with the gods to actually see the show.

The TV show uses the same format, Barco projectors mounted in the rig, except all the lighting for the TV show was Vari*Lite. Also different lighting designers and desk op's.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Taken from the above website:

Anna Valley built the rig at floor level and raised it into position, using CAT5 cabling, and controlling/adjusting the projectors remotely over Ethernet.

Now that's SOME cat5 cable.......... :P

Would love to see the ratings on that stuff!

Now that's SOME cat5 cable.......... :P

Video department blissfully unaware of rigging work involved in flying their kit for them.

In other news: bears more likely to defecate in a tree-rich environment and Pope reveals connection to Catholicism.

Just a quick question...

Does anyone know what lighting they use behind the big 'diamond' shaped ice set on 'Dancing On Ice'? There is a nice effect of random strobing and flicker effects that I've never really seen produced before, for each dance and when the judges are on.

p.s. I do think though there is too much lighting involved in that show - especially with the mac 500's(?) around the ice rink.

I'm one the lighting crew and rescue climber for Dancing on ice and I can comfirm the projection on the ice is done from 4 pairs of Christie 16k projectors flown 10.5 meters on lighting trusses running through a hippitser. The diamonds and edge of the ice is light with a german product called snick snack and comes in 300mm strips and is a pain in the arse - great for install but dont tour it.

The lights you can see by the ice are VL6C's not martin units.

HSL are not the lighting contractor anymore they did series one but PRG greenford have done series 2 and 3, no robe products are used.

The large units on the upstage corners are Nova flowers

Any other questions?

Archived