10m Throw Spotlights

erik10_4

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone know how well source 4 jr zooms throw over that distance?

As said before they throw fine and would be better than a Minuette, one thing to note though is the S4 Junior Zoom is only available in 25-50 degrees. If you wanted something narrower then you would have to go for the full size S4 Zoom which is 15-30 degrees. However these are quite big beasts, fixed angle with a selection of lenses is neater but more expensive!

Some good stuff here (I'm learning quite a lot!). Still don't understand paulears trigonometry stuff I'm afraid! I want to be able to achieve a 5 - 6 foot diameter spot from a throw of about 10 metres. I had guessed that I needed an angle of between 6 - 10 degrees. Is this saying I've got it wrong (wouldn't be a bit surprised - maths never a strong point!). Is there a formula for calculating such things (I feel trigonometry looming again - but happy to learn)?

By the way, would love to be able to consider some of the kit mentioned, but on my budget, out of the question (Strand sl zoom £400+ ?, Minuette circa £120, bit of a difference guys! (even £120 is a lot for my humble budget)

Regards to all :P

By the way, would love to be able to consider some of the kit mentioned, but on my budget, out of the question (Strand sl zoom £400+ ?, Minuette circa £120, bit of a difference guys! (even £120 is a lot for my humble budget)

I think your shopping in the wrong place!! I assume as you mention ebay your after 2nd hand kit? if you are you need to try usedlighting.co.uk. minuettes are about £80 and I thing a s4 19 is about £120? so not out of your range at all they don't get meny sl on there but I think there is a narrow one on there now?

happy shopping and I hope you get some good kit now your budget will go further!!

pete

Unfortunately, I've not been able to work out whether, when you put in distances, it reads them as feet or as metres.... (can anyone help me on that one?)

It doesn't matter what units you use, as long as you use the same units for all the distances.

i.e. If your throw is 10m then the desired diameter has to be in meters; 1.1 (not 4 feet)

If your throw is 33 feet then the desired diameter has to be in feet; 4 (not 1.1 meters).

Trig. SOHCAHTOA: Opposite (4) / Adjacent (33) Tan^-1 = angle.

4/33 = 0.121

Tan-1(0.121) = 6.9 (degrees)

I think your shopping in the wrong place!!...

Sorry, my post was a bit misleading here. The price comparisons I listed were for 'new' items. I was assuming that the differential would be similar at 'used' prices (i.e. If a Minuette could be sourced (used) for circa £80, then the Strand sl zoom would come in at a used price of circa £260). Perhaps this was a false assumption.

Thanks also to others for LD calculator web reference and Trig (now I know why I wasn't any good at maths)

Regards

It doesn't matter what units you use, as long as you use the same units for all the distances.

True, but if you've got a 26 degree lens with a throw of x and want to know the size space you're going to be lighting, it will give you an answer in decimals (e.g. 6.4) which is much easier to understand in metres than in feet (how many inches is .4 of a foot? - personally I'd have to use a calculator - whereas .4 of a metre is easy). Give me metres any day! :(

Archived