DMX Soft patch

Grum

Have you thought about just having your dimmer outlets re-wired, probably not much more expensive than buying some of the stand alone soft patch boxes! Then at least it's done and you don't have to worry about the soft patch when it comes to fault finding.

What will probably do is a TheatreLight DMX-Link

http://www.theatrelight.co.nz/dmxlink.jpg

Several years ago, TheatreLight did a softpatch box called the X-Link, which was just the softpatch bit of the ShowMaster desks, but that has vanished, presumably as this is out.

I have no idea where to get one of these from in the UK though :P

Just another thought: will the ETC Smartfade do this job? I have no idea if it will, but it has DMX in and out and is supposed to have replaced the Reflection DMX back up. It's about £700-£800 quid list, but it will give you a back-up desk, portability, ect, ect.

Let me know if it does!

Ken

• 5 years later...

There are 2 things that have no place in any kind of theater: lack of safety, and laziness. If the visiting LD's that you rent to don't understand that "a circuit is not a dimmer is not a channel," then they need to go back to school and learn the proper way to do things. In most theaters, there is a hard patch because sometimes several circuits need to be powered by one dimmer. There are plenty of reasons for this but 90% of the time it's because the space was not designed to have more than 50 dimmers, even though there are 75(or more) circuits. Hopefully your ETC Impression has a floppy disk drive that you save your patch/shows onto. If you have a floppy disk drive, and a computer you can load the patch/show on the computer and export it to any other ETC format for the visiting LD's and their desks. If they aren't using an ETC desk, then eventually you or one of them will have to patch your dimmers into their show, which then you can save onto a disk and use for the next time that desk is used. The computer version of the ETC desks is called Expression Offline and can be downloaded for free. I'm sure there is something like that for the Wholehog desks and other systems that I'm not as familiar with.

Having correct paperwork for each circuit, each dimmer, and each channel patched in your board is the #1 most important piece of information for a theater to have when letting other designers use their desks. The Enntec Datagate looks expensive and unnecessary with the exception of a large touring rig.

Archived