Wheels and castors

Roderick

In most circumstances, when you are using a truck on stage, exposed castors are unsightly and are best covered-up. While covering the front, also cover the back (leave an apperture to operate the breaks if you have to). That solves the problem of running over feet. For get-ins, get outs, flight cases, and times when a guard is impractical stick to steelies.

There are plenty of styles of soft-soled black steelies and even more chances of dropping something on you toes (flattage, treads, furniture, ...) so there is no excuse fior a stage technician to not be wearing them!

I for one don't go in a theatre without my steelies on.

My previous employer didn't think they were necessary, but having seen the kind of injuries that they prevent, and the fact that they cost very little these days I really don't think there's any reason not to buy your own.

Yes, your employer has to provide PPE, but if you get your own then you can choose some nice ones. I like the 'shoe' rather than the 'boot' variant, because then I can wear them in many more places.

I like the 'shoe' rather than the 'boot' variant, because then I can wear them in many more places.

My preferences are directly the opposite to yours! All the safety footwear that I've owned in the past has been high-ankled boot-style stuff, but my current pair are more "shoe style" ones (DeWalt safety trainers - very comfy, but no support around or above the ankle). A few weeks ago, I slipped off the edge of a low riser and twisted my ankle very badly, and I can't help but wonder whether the twist/sprain would have been as bad if I'd been wearing steelies which also provided a bit of ankle support. I suppose I'll never know! But the next pair I get (which will be quite soon, I think, because one of the soles on the DeWalts is starting to split) will be boot-style rather than shoe-style. I'm really not bothered about wearing them anywhere apart from work, so how they look is very much secondary to how comfortable they are and how much protection they afford me.

I for one don't go in a theatre without my steelies on.

Me neither. I've found the Magnum boots to be great, they're actually fibreglass not steel toed but still adhere to all the necessary safety standards, and they're quite a bit lighter. I did have a pair of Cats but they were quite heavy and I never really liked them. The Magnums that I've got at the moment are apparently the ones favoured by emergency services, wouldn't get anything else now! Plus they're tall boots, well above the ankle so loads of support there.

I have to admit that I wonder whether greater ankle support would be beneficial.

However, my last employer officially frowned upon wearing boots around the ship rather than black shoes. It wasn't enforced at the time I left, but that could have changed at any moment and it was an argument I didn't want to have.

Most "proper" steel boots will carry a rating: ANSI, BS, TÃœV, EN or whatever - this will give an indication of the kind of force they can withstand. As with everything, you tend to get what you pay for

Any idea what the appropriate BS standard is for boots that prevent a crocodile from being able to bite your foot off ? I'm guessing they'd be pretty expensive shoes. :D

I didn't used to wear steelies to work because I couldn't find any I was happy to climb in. I have some Caterpillar trainers now that I found in Arco, and they're ace. Not particularly expensive either.

Sean

x

Have you got a link to those? I can't see them on the Magnum site...

<runs to get boots> They're the Magnum Classic boots, oddly enough I can't find them on the website. I got mine from Millets, but I can't find any trace of them on their website either. To me it looks like they've remodelled them - the Stealth ST boots look very similar but appear to be steel toed not fibreglass. That's a drag, they're great boots.

I to have magnum boots, and they are excellent, I don't go on set or stage without mine, when I first started a dolly slipped from its track and ran clean over my trainer clad foot, a painful lesson to learn, but I now ware steelies on every job

Archived