Sony Freedom Radio Microphones

simon-carter

Interesting one this. I'm also intrigued as to what the problem is as I've used them before without a hint of any problem. I suspect the actual transmitters / receivers are fine & it's something antennae / wire related. Would hate to see the kit getting a bad name if it's not actually at fault.

On a related note, I remember reading somewhere the suggestion that you should only use radio mics as an absolute last resort once every other solution has been exhausted as in the wrong hands, they can be more trouble than they're worth. I'm sure it doesn't apply to anyone here, but with a pro system like the Freedom, you really do need to know & understand what you're doing - it's not a case of switch on & it'll work perfectly straight out the box. Problems can be caused by something really obvious to someone experienced that a novice may completely overlook.

Exactly Shez.

I'm sometimes called in by a local hire company when somebody is having problems. I once got paid for a 30 mile round trip to a semi-local theatre where the "crap Freedom mics keep dropping out".

The solution was difficult...push the IEC mains lead properly into the back of the active splitter on the antenna system. Funny how the presence of that little green light on the front improved reception greatly!

I'm not saying the solution is always that easy...but it's more often operator or installation related rather than an electronic fault.

Bob

we have 24 channels of freedom radio system in our hire stock and had never had RF issues with them other than customers chosing to use frquencies which intermod.Something to check is the rf pad switches on the back of the reciver units. In your application with some distance from the antenna and recivers these should be set to 0db attenuation.

Archived