ITV News, 16th Feb 2006

Light Console

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some shopping centres use Mozart in similar ways...

Funny, I'm generally into pretty heavy stuff (death metal etc) and when they play mozart in the indoor shelter at the local train station I've been asked a couple of times by bemused staff why it hasn't put me off and made me wait for the train outside. Interesting how people seem to make such generalisations :lock: .

It also works the other way round - one lecture hall at my college has a very dodgy strip light that emits a very high frequency whine...trouble is, the lecturers will refuse to turn it off since they can't hear it! :lock:

I'm nearly 50 and hear 16k and find it unpleasant. By 18k I'm not sure if I can hear it or not. I'd need someone else to do the test. I can hear higher tones than some of my teenage students because (I guess) of ipods, walkpeople etc.

Some shopping centres use Mozart in similar ways...

Funny, I'm generally into pretty heavy stuff (death metal etc) and when they play mozart in the indoor shelter at the local train station I've been asked a couple of times by bemused staff why it hasn't put me off and made me wait for the train outside. Interesting how people seem to make such generalisations :lock: .

Some one else who likes death metal and mozart. It is possible in the same person, contry to popular belief. confessidle I know neither that well (now thrash metal, that I could go on about for hours and grunge for even longer) but certianly I know what I like from both. I like most points in between as well....

For the record. I'm 22 and can hear 16Khz fine, 16.Khz just and can't decide if what I hear at 17Khz is my imagenation or my ears. Owing to not appearing have soundforge on this machine I used this free tone generator from the net:

http://www.world-voices.com/software/nchtone.html

Count me in on metal and Mozart. Though I much prefer Dvorak.

Metal has a lot in common with 'classical' music (I use the quotes as classical actually refers to a specific time period and not orchestral music), in that both are more serious music, exploring boundaries, and tend to be music for music's sake, not for money or stardom's sake.

Anyway I'm :lock:

I'm 23 and get 17k fine. I agree that those dog/cat scarer units are terrible. Although the worst has to be when they are on Deer setting (as you do!), and whine up and down at a much higher level. A friend has one at their house, and I can't remember when I was last round there!!!

I think 14k is more unpleasant for me compared to 16 khz and im 15. I can hear 17.5 ok and after that theres nothing. at the lower end I can hear down to 20 hz so I guess im not doing too badly :huh:

There seems to be a pattern here, that short term use of in-ear headphones can cause more damage more quickly than long term exposure to loud sound systems. I'm 44 and like other posters to this forum seem to have better high frequency sensitivity than many of my students.

Young people really should be warned of the dangers to their hearing, and helped to preserve it as diligently as their sight.

I was at a protest march some time ago and experienced ringing in my ears for about 2 weeks afterwards, due to bells, whistles, air-horns, sirens, megaphones, etc. I seriously thought I had done my ears permanent damage, and in future will wear ear plugs, as all the police at such events do!

A friend worked in an office block where building work was taking place for 6 months and she now has permanent hearing loss and tinnitus. The financial compensation she received doesn't make up for her loss.

It isn't worth the risk: look after your ears.

Archived