D.A.S. Equipment.

valooz

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of DAS speakers etc...

I don't see them mentioned very often on BR, so what are your opinions???

I've heard that their latest line array system (AERO) is a complete catastrophe, is this founded???

appreciate any opinions on the whole range...

My rig last summer was DAS amp powered. Out of 4 amps, 3 became partly U/S when their fans died. In Menorca there appears to only be one sound shop, and they had 4 months to the end of the season to get the replacement fans for us. They never arrived. The reason the fans died was getting gunked up in a humid outdoor environment, and lack of use for five months out of every 12.

That said, I think that the DAS amps were very easy to service (E range) and I managed to get two working by swapping the boards and fans about. The way they were wired meant it was simple to service. As any sound produced was via an equally abused 802 system, I can't tell you how good the amps sounded. Mikenorth used the same rig a few years before me, maybe he could comment on them if he is about....

We use these speakers quite a bit, having sold them and hired them out for a number years. We have had no problems with them. They may not sound as good as a tannoy or similar style of speaker, but for the money they are very good.

The amplifiers are not good at all. We had a lot of failures with them, so we now only put QSC amps with them. We even carry 3 as service exchanges!!!

Mark

We've got some DAS speakers that we've used for years on our hire stock. They have a nice sound and are pretty robust. Haven't had a chance to hear the Aero system as yet but have had the offer of a trip out to Spain to hear them if we get a customer looking to invest. Although they haven't broken into the UK touring market yet, the work I have is that they sound pretty damn good!

Steve

The little powered boxes seem OK, had some ST-8A's for 4 years with no problems, and the little plastic DS-8 are OK for the money! We tried their line-array and it wasn't upto much to say the least, the subs were particularly awful. Also had bad experiences with the amps.

But they do seem like a very responsive and enthusiastic company who are eager to please and listen to suggestions! Maybe they should look at this thread.......

Regards

Oliver.

Archived