Calling all lighting technicians in amateur venues.

Just Some Bloke

Accessing lanterns for focussing  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main means of access when focussing?

• Tallescope (2 movers)
    • Tallescope (4 movers)
    • Tallescope (doesn't move when person in basket)
    • MEWP (inc. Genie etc.)
    • Ladders (inc. Zarges etc.)
    • Scaff tower (inc. Zip-up etc.)
    • Tension Wire Grid
    • Bridges
    • Other
  2. 2. Have you ever been involved in a fall from this?

• Yes, serious
    • Yes, minor
    • No

In the Safety Forum there is a very interesting thread on how safe Tallescopes are when focussing. It seems to be the case that not enough research has been done on this and Chris Higgs of ABTT seems interested in hearing from people about their experiences.

I've therefore set up this poll to see what the situation is out there in the real world.

What do you use for focussing? How safe has it been up to now? If you use a Tallescope do you move it with a person in the basket, and if so do you have 2 people at the bottom or 4?

Don't forget that the poll is confidential and no-one will know how you voted, so you can tell the truth without fear of reprisals from the H&S boys and girls!

PLEASE NOTE that this poll is for amateur venues only, including schools and colleges. There is another poll for professional venues. Make sure you vote in the correct poll and in one only. Also, please make your replies relevant to you alone and not to friends and/or colleagues, at least as far as the poll is concerned.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Just realised that if you have answered yes to the second question, we won't know what type of access you were using at the time. Would people answering "yes" please PM me with details if you wouldn't mind (optional, obviously).

How about adding a second method? At both local Am venue, and at work (school) use is split 50/50 between zip -up and ladders (various).

And what do you want those of us who work proffesionally in education to do? :mods:

Good idea, JSB. Could I suggest that, in order to keep the results as concise as possible, people concentrate on answering the poll rather than posting long explanations? If you use more than one method of access for focussing, just choose the one that you use the most. Of course, if your venue is really out-of-the-ordinary in terms of focussing access, then an explanatory post may well be in order - but a whole topic full of pages of posts saying "yes, I've voted, I use a zarges" or whatever isn't going to be especially useful. And please note that this topic is for AMATEUR VENUES ONLY - the poll for professional venues is here.

How about adding a second method? At both local Am venue, and at work (school) use is split 50/50 between zip -up and ladders (various).

Or in my case, its split between MWEPS, Bridges and tensioned wire grids.

Just to be difficult. :mods:

Yes, I realise this would come up which is why I put 'your main means of access'. Unfortunately polls only allow one answer and we could go on all day adding more questions, but I thought 2 was enough! Just go for what you use most, or, if it's 50/50, which you prefer.

And what do you want those of us who work proffesionally in education to do? :mods:

Again, chose whichever you feel is most appropriate. I put 2 polls in as amateur venues usually work under greater monetary constraints and often get less "pestered" by the H&S community. The Pro Venues poll will probably be more useful to ABTT, but both will be interesting to everyone.

;)

Please put yours back LC (and anyone else who's votes have gone) and we'll hope it was just a glitch.

Um, I'd love to but it says I have already voted, and I can't see a way of bypassing it.

So my votes were "Tallescope (2 movers)" and "No"!

Thanks. I've added your votes in. JSB

Archived