X connect Trial Version

flashcrashboom

Brilliant.

Well I kept missing the auctions, so I got impatient and bought one for a whopping £22! Should arrive Monday!

Will let you know how I get on, or more to the point, will post questions when it all goes wrong!

So here goes, I have the AP in and working. No problems.

My laptop however connects fine, but I need to manually change the IP address to one that works, and then change it back to automatuc to use another normal wireless network.

Is there any way to get the laptop to automatically change to the IP address when needed, and change back when not?

Thanks guys & dolls

My laptop however connects fine, but I need to manually change the IP address to one that works, and then change it back to automatuc to use another normal wireless network.

Is there any way to get the laptop to automatically change to the IP address when needed, and change back when not?

In theory you can control the IP range assigned to client devices by the WAP to ensure that the IPs are compatible with the ShowNet - at this point you would be able to leave the your laptop configured to receive an IP via DHCP.

You need to be careful with this though - clearly the IP scope you make available to the WAP for dynamic hosting of clients should not clash with any IPs used on your ShowNet (sorry if that's a bit obvious - worth mentioning though!) Usually I'd suggest a range of 192.168.0.1 through to 192.168.0.5 for xConnect devices. This should keep the IPs well clear of the ranges typically used by consoles and nodes:

192.168.0.68 for a main

192.168.0.67 for a backup

192.168.0.65 for a server

192.168.0.7x for nodes (ususally!)

...and so on. Keep in mind that these are simply typical addresses - a specific ShowNet may be set up in a completely different way!

Andi.

Archived