Farewell old Strand, hello Genlyte-Strand?

Rob Halliday

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Doug, please don't keep us in suspense over this!! There are a lot of Strand fans out there who'd love to know about any new products that are on the way. Tony's mail from a Strand dealer doesn't mention them. I was talking to a rep from the country's biggest Strand dealer the other day and he didn't know of any new stuff coming along. If you do have knowledge, please share it!!

I have heard nothing about these things, and there's no mention of anything like that on their website. Care to enlighten us?

The website is not exactly a great source of up to date information. With 18 days of summer remaining we should be seeing a the summer 2006 Strand e.news letter coming out. Maybe we should compile a list of the top ten questions we are wondering about and submit them to the editor.

JG

• 4 months later...

it seems that some of the items from the auction are starting to show on e-bay

strand LBX 125 channel lighting desk

powers up fine and all the button lights seem to work

this desk came from strand uk's research and development lab so I presumed in full working order-but I don't have the means to test it further

Linkey

it seems that some of the items from the auction are starting to show on e-bay

strand LBX 125 channel lighting desk

powers up fine and all the button lights seem to work

this desk came from strand uk's research and development lab so I presumed in full working order-but I don't have the means to test it further

Linkey

The person selling this on Ebay originally advertised it as a 72 way LBX. I emailed him with instructions how to find out what it really was :)

He also had a 24 way LX which from his email to me appears to sockets for outputing both +10V and -10V.

There is a label saying "prototype 1" on the underside.

I shall find out exactly what it outputs when it arrives as I am the successful bidder or should I say mug who bought it :angry:

Cheers

Gerry

We have just ordered some parts for a pollux 5k from AC lighting and it appears these are coming from Italy

Baz

Opera North

Baz is correct, the Quartzcolor range (Film and Television) is still being manufactured in Italy, If you have any requirements for stock or spares we would be pleased to help you.

Quartzcolor is a Strand Name, which I believe they still own. Don't be surprised if this tie is severed and production continues elsewhere!

Quartzcolor is a Strand Name, which I believe they still own. Don't be surprised if this tie is severed and production continues elsewhere!

Quartzcolor was never part of the Genlyte deal, and is still owned by the original owners of Strand. It was their intention to re-launch under the brand Quartzcolor Lighting Spa before Christmas, but the silence from Rome is deafening. There were rumours of a sale to the Vinten Group (who own Manfrotto and Sachtler) but I expect Italian Employment laws may have made this difficult.

HTH

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
Any further word from Quartzcolor?

I second that, any word???

Curious to know what is in the wind for the quartzcolor arm.

Also, re the Sachtler reference a few posts ago, take a close look at the Director range of Hmis, from Sachtler.

They bear more than a passing resemblance to the quartzcolor stuff, and the spare parts list looks like it may as wel have been copied directly with a new name on the header

Cheers

Chris

Still no news from our friends in Rome. I shall send a mail to their sales director and see what response is forthcoming and let you know. Interestingly if you go to www.quartzcolor.com, it links straight to www.strand-lighting.com (the hyphen being very important), which was the old German operation (and kept separate from the Genlyte deal)

With regards to Sachtler, Quartzcolor do indeed make the current Director range, as Sachtler's parent Company, Vinten (who also own Manfrotto), decided there wasn't enough money in continuing to make their own HMIs

www.quartzcolor.eu has all the answers, with a promise of more news soon.

HTH

Richard

• 9 months later...
I'm sure news of this will spread very rapidy from tomorrow, but just so you can say you read it here first:

http://www.genlyte.com/index.jsp?A=396&B=409

Rob.

This post with link still working well after a year and half. It still leads to the announcement of yet another new parent company to Strand.

So... "Farewell Old Genlyte Strand, Hello Phillips-Strand?" Wonder if all new SL's will ship with a free Phillips made "Broadway GLA" lamp? http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_images/3/folder_post_icons/icon6.gif

Archived