Dented hire van

pritch

it also depends how frequent/likely to be a frequent customer you are as to if they'll bill you or not!

Very true. The more vans you hire the better chance you have in getting away with small dings. Used to be a major stress factor when hiring out vehicles especially when I did not spot a window chip that was there already - but due to being in winter & the hire company is very local manged to get it there without defrosting that part of the screen. Do have a very good look around with the hire company rep when you take the vehicle out as they do miss things.

Our excesses have always been £500 & all overhead/tyre/screen damage etc.

Good luck with your tresurer & let us know the outcome !!

One moral of this tale is to use local companies who have pre-trashed vans. A friend of mine always asked for (and got) the slightly trashed van for doing theatrical removals, so they aren't likely to notice another little ding.

If you have a nice shiny new one, then the accident damage will show up markedly.

I once got away with reversing a luton into a company's entrance canopy (not fast though). The canopy suffered no damage, but the roof of the luton did. I bent it straight with a hammer and mole grips, and the hire company never noticed as the van wasn't exactly new.

Let us know how you get on.

Jason

They didn't say a thing. Frankly, I'm amazed.

That said, I made a point of mentioning the bald spare tyre to them before they inspected it, so they may have kept quiet so that I didn't kick off about that.

Having a good relationship with a hire co is great. Until they close your local depot, move your old fantastically helpful truck booking Lady to a new job where you can't speak to her in a depot near to where a certain very large hire co with the initials L, X and S, then screw you over because you missed the little crack in the windscreen on check in (and then it's not notified to them by the guy responsible for trucking), which then grows to the size where it's noticeable, then claim you put it there. Then you look for a new company.

Archived