User friendly colour mixing

Just Some Bloke

On a Mac the colour picker is quite neat, it actually has a number of different options (and you can switch between them at will). for instanc e:-

http://www.vanilla.net/ebay/screenshot1.jpeghttp://www.vanilla.net/ebay/screenshot2.jpeghttp://www.vanilla.net/ebay/screenshot3.jpeg

As a developer you can actually design and install new colour pickers into the system quite easily, although they already have what you probably want anyway, but it would mean if you wanted one with 16 sliders in it you could have one, and it would then work in any app that used the colour picker.

Ben

you may be interested in David Cunningham's (inventor of the S4) last two patents, which can be viewed here : http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/patentdb..._fd4=cunningham
I'm sorry, but he should NOT have been able to patent "Lighting Apparatus for Producing a Beam of Light Having a Controlled Luminous Flux Spectrum"

I'm completely failing to see why "making colours by mixing other colours together" is patentable - it's the most bloody obvious and oldest idea in the history of colour.

Patents are supposed to be unobvious to someone in the business - I think the only one that tops that idea for sheer bloody obviousness is that US patent on PWM...

The second one is a bit clever though - keeping track of how the LEDs are lasting and correcting for dimming over their lifetime. Clever.

On a Mac the colour picker is quite neat, it actually has a number of different options (and you can switch between them at will)

With screenshots it suddenly becomes a lot clearer :blink:

Although I'm note quite sure how useful the crayon colour picker is that's also built in...

I'm sorry, but he should NOT have been able to patent "Lighting Apparatus for Producing a Beam of Light Having a Controlled Luminous Flux Spectrum"

I'm completely failing to see why "making colours by mixing other colours together" is patentable - it's the most bloody obvious and oldest idea in the history of colour.

[rant]

Patent law (as a subset of law) long ago stopped being about what was "right" or "fair" and is about what makes lawyers the most money. If they permit a stupid patent then they can get paid extra to argue (both sides) at a later date in court. Who wins? The lawyers.

[/rant]

Don't get me wrong, colour pickers are great for lighting bands with big splashes of colour. But they're not so good if you want subtlety. If you want to get the difference between, say, 151 and 152 the colour picker can be a tricky tool to use.

I realise that what I'm suggesting is 15-way additive colour mixing which something is going to have to convert into 3-way subtractive colour mixing and that may be totally impossible! However, I think it might just work better for me. :blink:

EOS... looks nice... The color wheel in the piccies look the same sort of things as used on the Hog3, which is essentially the way computers do it.

The other thing notable about the Hog3 (and probably desks that are a serious competitor to it) is that it understands colour as more than just DMX512 values. Fixture types can have colour mapping data included within the fixture personalities, and so when you pick a colour then all fixtures should show the same colour, even though it requires different CMY (or RGB for additive fixtures) values per fixture type to make this happen. It also means the desk understands the gamut the fixture is capable of, and so displays the gamut as a broken line on the colour picker. You can choose colurs outside the gamut, but the Hog3 will then pick the closest it can get to what you request.

CMY crossfades can also be interesting...

Archived