WARNING: Squelly's

voodooman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew it was all going too well...

Can't wait to show this to my rep at Stage :)

Still, the things do survive some abuse. Spent a pleasant half-hour with our first one playing football/squash around the unit with it to see how fast it would break. Still in one piece!

S.

Have to say though, anyone who made that error would obviously be a numbskull who possibly even deserves a wee preheat tickle.

Heh? You've never fumbled about and plugged something about in the dark by feel while focusing? You'd only have to miss slightly, feel one of the pins engage and push the plug in, shocking... :)

That would be unsafe practice and therefore I wouldn't do it :)

Agreed, but some of us live in the real world. That's why the situation I just described would be an unfortunate accident, not a regular occurance as a result of an unsafe working practice...

That would be unsafe practice and therefore I wouldn't do it :)

Agreed, but some of us live in the real world. That's why the situation I just described would be an unfortunate accident, not a regular occurance as a result of an unsafe working practice...

Point A - I do live in the real world. A world where plugging up is done all the time without mishap. Generally I would have a torch with me when focussing or if unsure would ask for workers.

Point B - There was a smiley after my post.

Just took a look. I can confirm that it's entirely possible to do, with only a little undue pressure (say, exactly the amount that it takes to fit a slightly new 15a plug). With your eyes closed, it doesn't "feel" wrong, just a bit stiff.

360 degree pictures:

http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/plug1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/plug2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/plug3.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/plug4.jpg

I've called Stage Electrics to let them know. Until they respond, be careful out there, folks...

EDIT: Further investigation shows that it's even easier to do on the top socket. No additional pressure required at all. In fact, the newly live pin is several mm clear of the side of the squelly.

I've called Stage Electrics to let them know. Until they respond, be careful out there, folks...

I've swapped mails with my Stage LX rep, and his comment was essentially that they were made & tested to BS5733a and as such comply with all relevant safety regs. How far do you go to protect users from bad practices...? He cites ".... unsleeved 15a plug pins that little fingers can touch,

1.5mm extension leads over 15m,

Multicores with potentially 2 phases running through them.........." as other possibly unsafe practices we probably ALL see every day, which is I suppose rather valid, but maybe doesn't excuse what may be a tricky situation wiith the Squellies....

None of those, however, are anywhere near as bad as an exposed conductor in a area where handling is likely, with a plug and socket that can "appear" to be fully mated.

Just saying....

It occurs to me that if these are to BS5733a, then either BS5733a is badly flawed, or the tests weren't carried out by a observant tester. Does anyone have BS5733a?

I've swapped mails with my Stage LX rep, and his comment was essentially that they were made & tested to BS5733a and as such comply with all relevant safety regs. How far do you go to protect users from bad practices...? He cites ".... unsleeved 15a plug pins that little fingers can touch,

1.5mm extension leads over 15m,

Multicores with potentially 2 phases running through them.........." as other possibly unsafe practices we probably ALL see every day, which is I suppose rather valid, but maybe doesn't excuse what may be a tricky situation wiith the Squellies....

Not a very good answer form the Stage LX rep I feel [sounds a little bit too defensive to me]. I am sure they were “made & tested to BS5733a”.

I bet they wish they tested it a bit more as I can see this as an accident waiting to happen.

I certainly don’t like the argument “How far do you go to protect users from bad practices...?” Well I think as far as reasonably possible, but is this a bad practice or an accident waiting to happen?

Yes there are bad practices “using 1.5mm extension leads over 15m,” or “Multicores with potentially 2 phases running through them”, but most of them I would say are through choice i.e. someone knows this is happening. Where as this I feel this (wrongly plugging in the 15amp plug) would be more likely to happen through accident than choice.

So now that this has been pointed out to me, and the failure of these units to be designed with a failsafe to stop this happening, I won’t be purchasing any.

Regards

P.S. I wonder what would happen under US law if anyone has purchased one these over there and they had an accident? In the US I think they tend to be far more ready to sue.

11.3 Accessories incorporating plug-in and/or socket devices shall be constructed as to prevent:

b) any associated current-carrying plug-pin from making contact with a current-carrying socket-contact while any other plug pin is accessible.

Archived