WARNING: Squelly's

voodooman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, in short it would appear that Stage Elecs are selling something which they claim complies with BS5733, but which turns out not to. Would be very interested to read some comment from a Stage Electrics rep regarding this - any of you BR-resident Stage Elecs chaps or chapesses care to post something in response to this topic?

I also agree that the response to Tony's enquiry was rather on the defensive side, and contained points which aren't really valid. Yes, little fingers can touch live portions of unsleeved 15A plugs that are partially inserted into a socket - but that's why unsleeved plugs are no longer sold!

And the other two arguments (two phases down a multi, long runs in 1.5mm2) are a bit pointless in this situation - while both of those practices are a little bit removed from what most people would consider to be the ideal, neither of them cause live metal parts to be exposed to the touch.

Yup - that's basically my response to the comments I received.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to hammer SLX here, and have a great deal of time (and money, it seems! :)) for the guys there, but after all the hassle they apparently went to securing these Squellies it surprises me that the issue has arisen.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one, methinks.

And we do have at least a couple of SLX reps here... Cos one of them was touting for the Squelly! (Oh sorry - he was letting us know they wereavailable.... :unsure: :angry: :angry:)

Yes, little fingers can touch live portions of unsleeved 15A plugs that are partially inserted into a socket - but that's why unsleeved plugs are no longer sold!

Actually, MK Duraplug 15A plugs are still unsleeved and very available.

And as it would seem the pictures that we have bumped around a few customer's have made it on to here, our 15A splitter (which we are launching at PLASA once it has finished its trip through the CE testing lab) certainly can't have a plug put into it incorrectly.

I have one in my hand along with both a Duraplug and Permaplug to check!

Andrew Stringer, White Light

Actually, MK Duraplug 15A plugs are still unsleeved and very available.

Really? Didn't realise that - I thought they'd gone in the same direction as Permaplugs and changed the design to incorporate sleeved pins. Just goes to show how much attention I pay to connectors when fitting them to cables, I suppose! :unsure:

Dear Blue Room,

Firstly thanks for all your comments regarding the Squelly. We have taken this very seriously and investigated the problem. We take safety as the absolute priority of our business and to that end have taken the decision today to recall the current version of the Squelly.

Below is our official press release, and please be assured that we are grateful for your input.

Product Recall

Encore Squelly Adaptor

It has been identified that it is possible to incorrectly use the Squelly Adaptor which would then render the product dangerous. The earth pin can be inserted correctly yet the neutral pin can be inserted into the live socket of the adaptor leaving the live pin of the plug exposed.

Although the product is perfectly safe if used correctly, we have taken the decision to withdraw and recall the product from the market place. Therefore please remove this product from use immediately.

Stage Electrics contracted a design and manufacturing company of considerable repute in the UK within the domestic electrical market, indeed the company supplies many major high street retailers. We are therefore extremely disappointed to find this issue with a product we were informed conformed to regulations.

We will set an information point on our website on how to return products within the next 24 Hours

Linda Moore

Head of Sales & Marketing

Thanks Adrian. It's good to see such a prompt and efficent response.

I suppose it illuminates a disadvantage of round vs square pins, as the round pins allow for this kind of "rotation" problem.

I hope we'll see a redesign soon as I'm quite pleased with mine aside from this problem.

Dear Blue Room,

Firstly thanks for all your comments regarding the Squelly. We have taken this very seriously and investigated the problem. We take safety as the absolute priority of our business and to that end have taken the decision today to recall the current version of the Squelly.

Of course, now the problem is, Where can I buy some 15a doublers?????

Snipped excessive quote - Bryson

oh er!

now I didn't expect that! if I where stage electrics I'd be making a few stern phone calls to the suppliers about now! to be fare stage bought them in good faith, so the blame isn't really thiers. full respect paid for the recall though.

bit of a bad situation for all concerned. I'd hate to be in the shoes of the company that gave them a BS rating. does add weight to the round pin bad argument. oh well new set of BS coming out soon. see what the fates have in store for 15A!!!!!

I'd hate to be in the shoes of the company that gave them a BS rating. does add weight to the round pin bad argument. oh well new set of BS coming out soon. see what the fates have in store for 15A!!!!!

The BS assessors I'm positive WILL be getting the rough edge of an MD's tongue!

As for 'round pin bad', that's a little severe... What are Ceeforms?

OK, THESE doublers have fallen foul of poor design, but 15A plugs in themselves are still a far better alternative in so many ways to any other available option (including ceeform) .

Dear Blue Room,

Squelly Update

The manuafacturer is in the process of re-designing the product and this will be with us in a few weeks.

Our industry need an adaptor! and to offer this we have been working on a short term solution to ensure the product is safe from misuse.

We have firmly adhered a 10mm Black Foamex panel to each side. (see picture enclosed)

What do people think?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/adriansearle/Squelly1.jpg

Squelly Update

The manuafacturer is in the process of re-designing the product and this will be with us in a few weeks.

Our industry need an adaptor! and to offer this we have been working on a short term solution to ensure the product is safe from misuse.

We have firmly adhered a 10mm Black Foamex panel to each side. (see picture enclosed)

What do people think?

Besides it looking a bit naff, how strong is the foam? Would it break off easily? Could someone break off the foam as they just pick it up and play with it?

Quite frankly it looks a bit desperate trying to sell them this way. I would have thought this is not something a company such as yours would want to do, but that is just my opinion (wait the few weeks).

More importantly, on the legal front if it has now been confirmed the current product doesn’t comply with the BS rating it isn’t legal I would have thought. Therefore adding a modification (the foam) would mean you having to have it go though the testing procedure again, wouldn’t it?

Regards

What do people think?

Honest opinion?

Looks as though it would stand up to a week's average use, and smacks of panic management - and I don't believe that this put forward as a serious solution will win you any prizes!

I'd say simply suck it up, give the designers and the BS assessers a right good roasting and carry on with the recall, with a big fat legal bill sitting on a couple of doorsteps (see aforementioned designers/assessers!!)

Surely it's got to be better to wait and release the 'version 2' of the Squelly than risk more confusion by releasing an inferior interim product?

Stu

Archived