WARNING: Squelly's

voodooman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey - I've got an idea - get a 15A plugtop and some sidecutters, cut the back end of the plugtop off so the aperture is big enough to get 2 short bits of 1.5mm TRS through, then stick a 15A socket on the end of each bit of TRS. wrap lots of PVC tape around the plug end to do the job of the cable grip; Bobs your uncle - 2 lights, one dimmer. hmmm

Seriously - risk assesment is about identifying and avoiding danger. It would be possible to produce a risk assesment to allow continued limited use of the squellie, by identifying the potentially dangerous aspect of it's use and specifying measures to be taken to avoid it, i.e. an instruction to only make the connection with "visual contact in good lighting conditions". It should be simple under these conditions to avoid the potentially fatal mistake illustrated. This means that troubleshooting at full stretch from the top of the tally genie or tower in the dark should be absolutely forbidden. The risk assesment would also say under "further measures" - "replacement of squellies with modified version to be actioned at earliest opportunity." I would consider this satisfactory as a short term measure assuming that the staff using the equipment were competent, reliable and conscientious. Others may disagree.

perhaps I should add that although the first method described was common practice when I started out, I'm fairly glad we don't need to do it now.

Can someone clear something up for me,what happens if SLX don't get them all back and one gets out on a job and gives someone a shock?

Or to be worded better,is it the "consumer's" or the suppliers prerogative to make sure they are all returned?

...one gets out on a job and gives someone a shock?

As 'professionals' it is our responsibility to ensure that anything we do is undertaken safely and to ensure that equipment we use is fit for purpose. This might include being aware of what is happening in our industry.

...is it the "consumer's" or the suppliers prerogative to make sure they are all returned?

Suppliers should take all reasonable steps to bring the problem to the customer's attention. This might include making a statement on theie website, contacting any customers they can directly identify and making announcements in appropriate places.

...what happens if SLX don't get them all back and one gets out on a job and gives someone a shock?

Well, we've already had the letter regarding the recall so all their direct customers should have been informed. My worry is for all the other companies who bought batches of the things from Stage to sell onto their customers. Will they manage to recall all of those? Thankfully, all of our Squellies were on our hire stock.

As a side question, has anyone else brought out a Grelco equivalent yet?

Steve

All suppliers have a duty under section 6 of the "Health & Safety at Work, etc Act 1974" to ensure that any product is safe to use. If they subsequently become aware of a fault, they must do everything reasonably practical to ensue that the items ae removed from use.

ANYONE failing to heed the recall is being grossly negligent and, should an incident occur, would be in BIG TROUBLE. There MAY be an argument for contunued use in an enclosure that requires a tool to gain access since the safety equiements there are lower than in the open, but that would still be using the item against the manuacturers (updated) instructions.

As for third party supplies, they will have received the recall notice and should act accordingly to recall the units they have sold on.

Yep. The older snapper had small "bulges" on each side that prevented this problem. I'm concerned to note that the "snapper replica" posted earlier did not have the same bulges, but I guess it could be slightly wider than the old ones to prevent the problem.

The issue with the squelly would be easily resolved if both of the sockets were centred - they would just need some 2mm bulges and the job would be done. However, the problem lies in the offset of the top socket - which means that any bulge would need to be more in the region of 6-7mm to prevent the problem.

Trunker, you've never worked in a professional theatre - you are still a student.

Yes, all patching should be done when it's light, but sometimes you can't.

It's very common for replugging to be done when it's dark using the 'feel for the Earth pin' method, and there are many reasons.

Perhaps the most obvious is because a lit practical must be set and removed during the show.

It's fairly common to need to connect things up suitable vertical access equpiment in a position where you can't see your hands because it's not possible to move the access equipment due to some obstruction or because it's a fixed catwalk.

With equipment that complies with the relevant BS, this is safe because you can't get it wrong - that's why the BS is the way it is.

Once the Squelly has been appropriately redesigned, it will also be safe and I have every confidence in SLX to do this.

I am very sorry but ALL patching should be done in the light, not the dark., It is ONLY focusing that should be done in the dark.

Cross plugging to find the cause of a dead fixture is very common up a scope in the dark. Its just not practical to stop, unplug all the multis, drop the bar just so you can look for a fault on the floor with the lights on!

But yes in student dream world no re plugging will ever take place at heights in the dark!

Hi all, just moving away from Trunker there. But does anyone now know whats happening with the Squelly's?? I've sent my lot back...as part of the product recall and now have been left without any grelly's at all!

• 2 months later...

Archived