DMX projector shutter

Ynot

Since my name was mentioned, I suppose I'd better add my bit.

Hi, Glyn. Thanks for adding your ten pen'orth.

Are you still at the Belgrade at the mo - what with it's £12m makeover under way? Are they at the stage yet where you get to go in and play with/set up any new toys??

I'm only down the road, so would appreciate anything you could offer, and yes - DMX control would be better if available.

PM me if you wish.

Thanks

Tony

It isn't truely possible to black out a projector this way, but a combination of a "black image" and several stops of ND seem to reduce the spill to an acceptable level...

I recently made up a scroll with just two frames - Blackwrap and clear. Works great for snapping out the projector in sync with the LX. But as Glyn says, for a smooth fade use ND then add the blackwrap frame for a complete blackout. The Rainbow Pro scroller seemed to cope fine with the blackwrap.

I recently made up a scroll with just two frames - Blackwrap and clear.

I just pulled one of my retired CCT motorized, 4 boomerang, color changers out of storage to do the same. 1 frame of blackwrap the rest remained open. My controller for this old stuff no longer works so we rigged relays and a 24 volt transformer to non-dims for open and close.

I recently made up a scroll with just two frames - Blackwrap and clear.

I'm interested to hear that you've managed to make it work with black wrap. When I tried it (in a chroma-q), we found that the noise of rustling tin foil was way too loud to be acceptable. That said, I suppose that the noise issue may not be a problem on a rock-n-roll type show, for us on a seriously atmspheric piece it was.

Glyn

... still it does get pretty warm if you were shining it at a piece of black paper for a while! The teachers at my (ex :( ) school had a habit of putting pieces of white paper right in front of the light source of the projecter for long periods of time when they didn't want the students to see what was on the screen, the paper got a little bit warm!

I've used it in a human projector shutter (school shows, no budget, endless amounts of free staff) before, though this didn't stay closed for long. Also if it had got too hot the operator using it would have been able to remove it, which in a scroller isn't possible.

Some experimentation may be needed.

I've used it in a human projector shutter (school shows, no budget, endless amounts of free staff) before, though this didn't stay closed for long. Also if it had got too hot the operator using it would have been able to remove it, which in a scroller isn't possible.

Some experimentation may be needed.

I've never had a problem with a scroller causing over heating either of itself or the projector, mainly because the scroller has a fan to keep whatever media (gel, foil, paper etc) cool while its in the aperture. Also by the nature of the physical size of the scroller there is usually about 50mm clear space between the lens and the scroll string, wich allows sufficent air circulation.

I do agree with the comments about masking the output by sticking a piece of paper etc in effect to the lens. That will get very warm, very quickly.

Glyn

Given projector outputs are a lot lower heat than lanterns would black sugar paper not be a suitable subsitute for blackwrap?

Projector lanterns are pretty darned hot, so I'd say projector + black paper = recipe for disaster!!!

Archived