Tallescope = Lifting Equipment?

Bryson

Tallescopes  

45 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, should a Tallescope be subject to LOLER?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly. Depends on it's usage (see below)
    • I have no idea.

I don't think it falls under LOLER, BUT I dont see any reason why it shouldn't be tested or checked at least every six months, simply because os the risks involved in it failing.

AndyJones

Because people don't have unlimited budgets, that's why.

I consider an Annual test to be adequate in the case of my tallescope (which is probably used, on average, two days per week).

I myself have never seen a pulley used on a talle this way
A bit :( but my old school had a metal bracket with pulley (for around 6mm rope) on the end, about 12/18" long, which was designed to mount on the side of the ladder section, and presumably be used for hauling stuff up on. At least I'm fairly certain that was what it was for. We never used it, but the scope and bracket had holes which looked like they should line up. I assume it was from the manufacturer, but it could have been fabricated in our technology block I guess.

PN

I consider an Annual test to be adequate in the case of my tallescope (which is probably used, on average, two days per week).

Which, if used that way every week for a year or so would probably be seen as being used quite a lot.

That'd be how often we use ours, and AAP seem to be of the impression that it is used often, and is in good condition for the amount of use it gets.

Again, I'd agree that an annual test is adequate, coupled with a routine check of the equipment every time it is used, and any damage no matter how slight, noted in a ladder register, as you would do with every other ladder on site, which would also be annually inspected...

It's work equipment not lifting equipment.

LOLER requires inspection/examination to be made as often as is necessary to ensure the equipment is safe to use.

6, 12 months or more frequently if the competent person drawing up the regime specifies this.

Alternatively a formal written inspection scheme can be used; this is also to be drawn up by a competent person and need not follow 6 or 12 month intervals.

PUWER is little different - detect defects before they become hazards.

Work equipment needs to be inspected if there is a risk to health and safety arising from its use.

Get AAP or someone similar in - they'll tell you how often it needs to be inspected based on condition, use and age.

Isn't a budget something drawn up to ensure essential spending is allowed for....

Archived