problems with crossover

thatblokewiththelaser

right ok chaps, got another amp from my mate, a crest 1000watter. same result, speakers are very quiet then the amps led lights show clip. ive changed the speakons, and tried other speakers on the c mark amp and the crest. same result, has to be the xover, im running out of time now to see if I can get these sorted. im gonna have to a) run these and bypassthe xover just running low and mids out the main 12" driver (but my disco will sound poor) b) get some new speakers!!!

BTW I understand what you mean by gain/vol/input attunators I was just typing to quick to think of the proper term ** laughs out loud **!

sorry yes, but I can only find eminence ones that go up to 400wattrms, I need a 3 way that will handle 600rms.

BUT............................................................................

can I fix the existing one, this is my original question and as I stated, when I have come across xovers that are fried its usally the ceramic resistor that goes in them and I dont get any sound, with this problem I am getting sound but it is low its like somethng is shorting on the xover hence making the amp clip and go into protect!

I don't know if you can fix the existing one. I know I almost certainly could.

Can you trace the circuit and draw a diagram? Then isolate the components to check them? Measure their values? If so, then you probably can too. Provided that when you find what has failed, you are able to determine the correct value for it and then get a replacement.

well I thought about that, but I dont have a working one to go off, I have a multimeter and can describe what the xover looks like with rthe bits on it. but the thing is ive never known a speaker to have these unusual symtums, (propably spelt really badly also)

there are 5 ceramic resisotrs with a 30watt 3ohm impedance, 2 coils. a yellow thing with 250v658j stamped on it. a maroon thin wiith 335j stamped on it ablack cylindrical object with 22f then two more ceramic resistors with 20w3r

now nothing looks burnt or come loose nothing spelts like its burnt either, im gonna run the driver on its own now with the amp to confirm its not the amp (ive already done this but as I cant see anything wrong withthe xover im gonna try it!

something more I forgot to mention, I am pretty sure its not the amp as I used a diff set of cabs the week before and they were fine all night but I used the studiospares cabs mentioned a week before that and twice the amp went into clip on one side . this was only until I turned it down and unplugged the speaker for 5 mins then it was ok again? just tried the speakers on my home stereo amp and when plugged into the speakon that is wired to the xover the result is a distrosted but very low sound!!!! so its deffo not the amp!

Hey Colin . It may be me not coping with middle age but could you speak English sometime. Also which part of the country do you live ? If you live in Somerset you could always bring your problem to my work and maybe we could sort it out .

Hi Colin - I know it sounds stupid, but have you checked with Studiospares to see if they have got any spare crossover boards in stock. They seem to stock a wide range of bits for these speakers, and maybe a quick phone call could sort this out.

Regards,

Matt

Archived