Patching scrollers on a Pearl

jhaynes199

When did I say all that :( hehe

jhaynes199, think you put the 'end quote' mark in the wrong place. But yes, it is the same principle as VL's with tungsten lamps.

I am guessing that you can use any scroller personality and don't need to specify the number of colours in the scroll?

Though its partially a contradiction to what I said in my last post, there is sort of a reason to use the proper personality for a scroller, even if its only one channel. Basically, if your using say a personality for a chromaQ unit, that was made by Avo and has all the range data for the pearl 2004, it will tell you on the colour selection which colour your on.. well, which frame the unit it on. If you've set the calibration on the scroller right, it should work OK. Know this wouldn't get used for much else than blind programming, but coupled with DMX control of the fan and string speed, its a handy thing to do for use in theatre where more precision is nice, rather than at a gig where often, all thats needed is control of the string (also makes channel counting easier; 12x scroller cans, 12 DMX channels)

To the O/P, if you have a brand of scroller that you'd like a proper personality for, go to the avo download site and if they don't have it, they'll make it.

Tom

*edit - Gawd-damit, I need to learn to remember to use the spellchecker!*

You can't just use any personality as it totally depends on how many channels the device uses and how they lie in offset to the start DMX value (the one you set when patching). Attributes in the personality file are defined by an offset from this value. Though I'm sure that if your unit has only one control channel then any personality for controlling similar units will of course work fine.

Data that refers to colour or frame positions is not important but might be useful. There are Preset Focus tables which primarily are designed for the auto-palette option when patching, but can be defined to exist only as a table. When a personality has this defined the console will automatically jump to the Attributes and Tables LCD page when the relevant attribute button is pressed. The wheel can then be used to scroll through preset colour/frame positions. As Tokm mentions there are also 'Range Tables' which give verbose information above the wheels in the LCD when console is set to 'attribute display' (as opposed to 'raw' - found through [shift] menu)

Patching dimmers over the top of fixtures on the same handle can only be performed if the personality does not define a dimmer channel. This is called a 'pending dimmer' and is designed specifically for intelligent fixtures that have conventional tungsten lamp source (ie. VL5)

Archived