Quadrophonic system

marsonpee

To any hardened D&B types out there - would using the CSA mode with Qsubs/B2s in this situation help with getting good sound out there - I guess the directivity would mean that the bass energy is kept off the walls and therefore room modes are less excited?

By pure chance I heard some Qsubs in CSA mode last night and was fairly gobsmacked by how directional the bass sound was compared to normal sub use. I think that it's definitely a trick to consider in rectangular box/standing wave country.

One thing to watch out for is that the bass is SO directional that it can be a bit worrying for the musicians on stage because they lack their usual perception of sub frequencies. I wasn't actually working the show I saw last night, just auditioning the speakers, but I gather the FOH guy had to walk band members around the room individually to prove to them that the punters were getting excellent bass even though it couldn't be heard on stage.

This aside, this is a trick I want to add to my list.

Bob

Archived