Alternative to DDX3216?

alangeering

I regularly record 16 channels (into Adobe Audition) on a rather underpecced machine and have never had a problem.

As has been said, audio bandwidths are only a fraction of what you get with real time video.

Bob

• 2 years later...

An update to an old thread. I've been using the DDX3216 and 2 ADA8000s along with an Alesis DEQ830 for a while now and am very happy. I record using an RME HDSP9652 and an M-AUDIO Profire.

I've found the setup really easy. Having EQ, compression, gate etc. on every track has proved very useful. Storing the presets has saved me a lot of time too. Switching between channels 1-16 and 17-32 hasn't proved to be a problem.

I've tried a few times to put the ADA8000s next to the band and run long ADAT / TOSLINK cables to the desk. The dissadvantage is not being able to get to the gain knobs (not actually a problem that much if set up conservatively). The unexpected advantage was a great reduction in induced noise from lighting equipment. Having the signal digitised early and send optically provided great noise immunity. Also, with optoisolation there is no chance of a ground loop!

I'm working on a mod to remotely control the gain knobs on the ADA8000s to try and perfect the set up.

So I'm pretty happy.

An update to an old thread. I've been using the DDX3216 and 2 ADA8000s along with an Alesis DEQ830 for a while now and am very happy. I record using an RME HDSP9652 and an M-AUDIO Profire.

I've found the setup really easy. Having EQ, compression, gate etc. on every track has proved very useful. Storing the presets has saved me a lot of time too. Switching between channels 1-16 and 17-32 hasn't proved to be a problem.

I've tried a few times to put the ADA8000s next to the band and run long ADAT / TOSLINK cables to the desk. The dissadvantage is not being able to get to the gain knobs (not actually a problem that much if set up conservatively). The unexpected advantage was a great reduction in induced noise from lighting equipment. Having the signal digitised early and send optically provided great noise immunity. Also, with optoisolation there is no chance of a ground loop!

I'm working on a mod to remotely control the gain knobs on the ADA8000s to try and perfect the set up.

So I'm pretty happy.

How long a cable run are we talking.

Also how are you looking at controling the head amps remotely? (Do you have access to young boy and simply tell him to run to the stage and turn it up or something a little more technical? :rolleyes: )

Archived