Tallescopes

stormster

If you look closely at the pic you can see it is just a really bad photoshop job. e.g look at where the lampost intersects the talle'... and there are numerous other points where the shrubbery against the talle' look highly dubious.

Or it maybe one of those anti-gravity scopes that I've heard about. I quite fancy one, just think no more rucking floor cloths or dance floor.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be interesting to find out if any tallescopes have ever toppled over - my guess is that they haven't, because we'd have heard about it!

Several years ago at a venue I used to work at (although I wasn't present at the time) a tallescope did take a sideways tumble and resulted in the person at the top landing in hospital for several days.

It was later proved that

A. He was working alone (ie with no one at the base)

B. He had been trying to move himself whilst at the top by pulling himself along by the flying bars.

He neither claimed for or got compensation for the injuries because he only had himself to blame.

I've not heard of one tumbling under what we would call 'normal' use tho.

Tony.

If you look closely at the pic you can see it is just a really bad photoshop job. e.g look at where the lampost intersects the talle'...

There's nothing wrong with it that I can see. (Other than the wheels not seeming to be on the tarmac, obviously.) Care to be more specific?

Theatrical use of tallescopes is not the type of thing they normally get used for -

maybe I spend too much time hanging around dingy backstage areas, but since I first climbed a tallescope in 1978 I've only once seen one in a non-theatrical environment - when I took the company truck to the vehicle plating centre off the North Circular. Does anyone know of other non-theatrical use?

Does anyone know of other non-theatrical use?

The now 'University of Chester' Campus in Warrington has an ancient talley in the maintianence dept for general use and is regularly used for odd jobs around the campus. It used to make a single apperance each year in the theatre to inspect the pulleys in the fly tower because the scaf tower was not tall enough.

I'd advise everyone with a genuine interest in this subject to pop over to the ABTT main site and have a read of the article under 'News and Diary' > 'News Articles' > 'Tallescope Usage within the Theatre Industry'

Thanks Brian - the ABTT site is at http://www.abtt.co.uk/.

Log on or enter as a guest, and follow News and Diary -> News Articles -> Tallescope Usage Within The Theatre Industry.

I'd like to add that the ABTT are currently in the data-acquisition phase of the debate, and they have a questionnaire that they would like as many venues as possible to fill out.

It's available from the above-mentioned news article.

(I haven't posted a direct link because the site uses frames)

Mods, plase feel free to merge this and the other tallescope topic!

Just this week our uni's H&S bod decreed that until further notice, no one is allowed to move the tally with some one up it!. This is apparently because of new HSE advice.

Just wondering who else uses this practice or has heard of this advice?

Thanks.

Alex

P.S.

HSE's website's newsletter says the following.

Quote:

...the view of the HSE is that tallescopes should not be moved with personell or materials in the basket!

• 2 weeks later...
Afternoon all,

Reading my copy of Stage Screen and Radio,in which there is a section about tallescopes,apparently ATG and Live Nation,have decided that they're employee's may be moved whilst in a tallescope basket.

Can any employee's confirm that?

Also....

Apparently Frank Partingdon of Aluminium Access Products says the arguments not about whether its safe or not.....

Well surely that is what the arguments about!

Said magazine also makes another good point,there is no alternative out there at the moment.

Unless you sell ESCA 2000s! :welcome:

Pete

edited to fix typo

No. Surely this is exactly the point - that safety has nothing to do with it. It is more to do with if it appears to contravene H&S legislation and that's not the same thing. More decisions are made on the basis of "can we be sued?" than "is it really unsafe?"

• 2 months later...
Just spotted in the latest bulletin from the HSE to LAs...

clicky.

Intriguing....

The HSE are now gathering information because the entertainments industry is anxious that they reconsider the stated position?

Surely the stated position is that the HSE made the rules that equipment should be used as the manufactures intended? I'm not sure how the HSE could reconsider their position without going back on this pretty central rule.

Can the HSE make exceptions to this rule without opening themselves up for all sorts of criticism? They surely can't make the decision that they know better than the manufactures.

Edit: "surely you can't be serious!"... must improve vocabulary....

Archived