Storage Units

Poll  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a laptop

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have trouble transporting everything you need for shows/rehersals

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
  3. 3. How Much would you pay for a storage unit that fulfilled you needs

• 0-10
    • 11-25
    • 26-35
    • 35-50
    • 51-75
    • 76-100
    • 100+

Not a bad case - although I am struggling to see where in the SM's arsenal it fits. It seems to be a bit too big to be portable - and the wheels don't seem to be suited for moving into things like vans etc, and it's not an "All in one prompt desk", and (personally) I cannot see a company SM needing something like this.

Maybe it is a 'move it into the rehearsal room at the start and just leave it till it moves to the performance space, then eventually, it moves home' sort of thing - which works - although if that was the case, laptop storage etc would probably be useless - as that and the laptop are probably going to travel between home and the space daily.

There is also the likely possibility that I am completely missing the point.

mac,

you hit the nail on the head

move it into the rehearsal room at the start and just leave it till it moves to the performance space, then eventually, it moves home

If I had more time I would have created the laptop case in a way that it could be taken out and transported easily - however your absolutly right about it being somewhat impracticle in terms of the laptop.

w.

Not a bad case - although I am struggling to see where in the SM's arsenal it fits. It seems to be a bit too big to be portable - and the wheels don't seem to be suited for moving into things like vans etc, and it's not an "All in one prompt desk", and (personally) I cannot see a company SM needing something like this.

It's surprising just how big a company SM's case ends up sometimes. Frequently I see them with lift off bits to enable printers to be toured on the top of them. A CSM's box, which, without the tools, this could concievably be, is basically just a more robust (Professional construction, bigger wheels) version of this.

It is something that, if I had transport for it, I would use. But I'm an electrician, and we think differently. My personals case is currently a GP trunk, but this could work well.

It's actually quite a well thought out box, and, coupled with the research carried out here, which we are playing a part in both pre and post protoype, should make an impressive project submission. Gripes I am reading are that the box should have been built with more heavy duty clips/wheels/hinges/handles. All well and good but this box is a development version, and costs of the correct parts are high, and can be substituted as and when. I would personally take the handles off the draws and replace them with a sanded down 25mm hole, ar a slot cut in the face. Nothing gets caught on a hole but how often do the handles catch?

I'm upset I stumbled on this thread so late.

It is actually a really good one, and should serve as an example of how college work can be carried out with the help of the BR

It's surprising just how big a company SM's case ends up sometimes.

I may have used CSM in a different context to what you are thinking - because most company SM's (aka resident SM's) I know tend to travel light - because they tend to know where to find almost everything they need within the venue (often because they have their own cupboards or office) which is why I ruled CSM out.

• 2 weeks later...
9. Suzette - the product should have space for a lever arch file (I designed the middle draw to hold a lever arch file + a bit extra, and almost everything you have listed has a space - call lists etc. in the briefcase insert (on the door) some stationary could also be kept in there with it, as well as in the space by the side of the lever arch ( the draw has a bit of space at the sides and back - this draw also has a cheapish alarm fitted - magnetic switch type thing from maplins - when opened alarm goes of - if armed - so valuables can be stored safely - also the unit as a whole is lockable with two small padlocks fitted on the catches. It doesn't have handles as they would probably get ripped off (9mm MDF) unless they were bolted through - it is one of the components I would like to add and might do - I still have 2 weeks until I have to finally hand it in. - it's also meant as more of a rehearsal room type aid and then tech week aid as well as possibly those who are touring - I designed it for myself really and as I'm a sound guy I wanted to be able to carry CD player etc. easily with laptop and everything else that I might need - and then leave it in the rehearsal room (a big black box is less attractive than an easy to cart away CD player) - I find that if you can introduce sound in the rehearsals it is a lot easier to work out what works and what doesn't - also it should be able to fit in the back of most cars (I hope)

Out of curiosity why a Stage Managers kit? Why not a just make it for a sound guy in the first place?

It really looks more appropriate for a sound guy than anything. If it had a built in prompt script holder that folds up to hold the book at an angle then it would be much more appropriate for a stage manager!

It had to be for a proper 'market' due to exam boards etc. and it was easier to get research info on storage for SM's than sound guys. I then changed it towards what I wanted in the design and development stages. this product is primarily for me, and secondarily to get an A level grade.

It had to be for a proper 'market' due to exam boards etc. and it was easier to get research info on storage for SM's than sound guys. I then changed it towards what I wanted in the design and development stages. this product is primarily for me, and secondarily to get an A level grade.

And sound guys arent a proper market? :huh:

I've seen a lot more sound guys vs LX or SM that have one of these sort of kits. Maybe I'm just nuts, or jealous.

• 2 months later...

Archived