thinking out loud

yuri

We use the Fohhn Xperience PA systems. Their Xperience II is incredibly compact and may be the thing you are looking for. This uses two 10"+1"CD tops plus 1 or 2 12" subs. All self-powered so no separate amps and comparatively lightweight. This should easily cope with up to 100 capacity venues.

One other point I would make with regards to the backline. Although I have worked with bands who DI everything, most will want some form of amps onstage especially when it comes to guitars as these can really help shape the sound. The best advide here is to go as small as possible. I came across some lovely products from Fender last year - the Acoutisonis and the Jazzmaster which were incredibly small amp heads with separate 12" speakers. This may be the sort of thing. However, some musos still like backline where size seems to be more important.

HTH

Steve

Today I had the pleasent discovery that Marshall have reintroduced one of their greatest ever products, the Marshall 20 head. When I was a kid these things were sold in the catalogues and cost not a huge amount of money. Well, its back:

http://www.guitarvillage.com/Amps/Marshall/Valve/2061_m.jpg

I had one of the originals for a while, and of all the rock and roll junk I've ever owned, thats the one I wish I still had. Or alternatively, I wish I could afford a new one... The cab looks wrong though, I didnt have the cab, I used a standard 4x12 (which I do still have), I'm fairly certain the original cab used a 13x8 speaker...?

One of these would make an ideal onstage amp for a rock guitarist, particularly in smaller venues.

At the last musical I did sound for, we had a completely silent band. It took a lot of persuasion (mainly to the drummer), but it was a blissful mixing experience :o

They all had their own monitor mixes in headphones; took ages to set up, but apart from the odd minor tweak after the first couple of nights, I never needed to change them.

Being able to mute them all with a single button was wonderful (and they weren't even aware as they could just carry on playing in their headphones)

Drum kit was electric (duh!), guitarist had some sort of modelling in his amp and was happy with it's DI-ed output, bass & keys DI-ed straight in too.

:P Hi all, been away doing Boogie things, but glad to see your all still here.

everyone in this post knows of someone who uses a silent backline I do too, me. ;)

I have used pods and various other devices for getting the guitar sound to the mixer, and a couple of pointers. If the band are young and have grown up with processed sound they well gell with it perfectly. but if they have used amps and cabs it could be a bit more difficult as there is a definate difference in sound. I've found that now for most gigs a small marshall 30 miked or di is a good but quiet( ish )set up.

As for moitoring if your talking small room then remember that the pa itself is generating a sound that the band can hear. ( although it's a bit muffled), as it may well be only a few feet infront of the musicians.

If its mixed right then foh sent to a second set of speakers pointed at the band can give the feel of having a backline but one that is well mixed. ( I've always had two sets of small speakers for foh, and sometimes when the crowd are very loud and I need more vol, I turn the (side fills/ monitors ) at the crowd.

If you really wanted individualy mixed monitors then maybe small light ( almost hifi type ) speakers may be a good compromise, there's more of them but they weigh naff all.

just ideas

cheers

baz

Archived