Am I too well behaved?

Johnno

I use both a MEWP and a scaff tower quite regularly.

The IPAF training says that restraint with a MEWP (non boom types) is not necessary, given proper training. (so only if you think the operator in a numpty then) But JLG's offering does have a harness attachment point is you want to use it.

I don't see the need for a fibreglass tower unless you have a specific hazard you are facing. Are you working with live equipment (power lines?) or you have some other big benefit you need. (is it cheaper? stronger? lighter?) In normal situations is much easier to make equipment safe than turn the tower into a form of PPE.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I did the training for my PASMA ticket the instructor was keen to emphasise that harnesses should not be used on aluminium access towers. A hard hat is necessary during construction, movement and disassembly although I've never liked the standard construction type hard hat whilst working at height.

And as has been mentioned above, if it's likely to fall over then it's not been built properly or isn't being used sensibly. :)

From what I know of MEWPs (general working-at-height training, not an actual MEWP ticket):

Ones that go straight up-and-down like the standard Genie generally don't suggest a restraint harness, and many don't have points that a harness could be attached to either.

The boom-arm ones (classic cherry-picker) DO require a restraint harness, as the basket can bounce rather alarmingly when manoeuvring, especially at long extensions.

Pickers don't need harnesses either,same again with scissor lifts.

Have to read my picker training again but I do believe there was one manufactuers boom where use of access gear to descend (I.e abseil) in an emergency was acceptable

Pickers don't need harnesses either,same again with scissor lifts.

Have to read my picker training again but I do believe there was one manufactuers boom where use of access gear to descend (I.e abseil) in an emergency was acceptable

You do need to read your picker training again - the WaH trainer, my boss and the Whitelight guys insist on RESTRAINT harness for pickers.

Note - restraint harness, NOT fall-arrest. It's to stop you bouncing up & out of the basket, not to catch you if you did.

Lets not start this again Tomo.

My Trainer gave examples of reasons not for wearing a restraint .Paticuarly nasty examples.

I was clear on the fact that harnesses arent always necessary Tomo and I'd appreciate it if you didnt infer I was not suitably trained to do something I do reguarly.

It was a while ago now but when I did my IPAF training I was told that you should wear a harness in a picker if there was

a chance that it could be hit by another vehicle.

The reason for this being that the picker turns in to a catapult if hit hard enough.

Obviously you would be harnessed to the picker itself not an external structure.

Of course this was a while ago so opinions and common practise may have changed.

Archived