Rated/unrated shackles

Chris Lowe

The thing that bugs me about shackles is that it is very difficult to find a source that does them individually numbered. They do a batch stamp which seems to suffice but does anyone know of a manufacturer that supplies these individually numbered?

Steve

The thing that bugs me about shackles is that it is very difficult to find a source that does them individually numbered. They do a batch stamp which seems to suffice but does anyone know of a manufacturer that supplies these individually numbered?

Steve

No manufacturer individually numbers them mainly because it seems there is a grey area on whether they need to be or not. The manufacturers claim that because the shackles can be traced back by batch number then they don't need any further traceability on them. Unfortunately if you want them individually numbered it is left to umpa lumpas like us to get 1000+ shackles and stamp the buggers. There is also then the issue of stresses incurred on the shackles by stamping directly onto the material. Not an issue with the larger sizes but if you have ever tried stamping a 500KG fed spec shackle you would appreciate how it can be an issue. Seems its another one of the inconsistancies in the guidelines.

Steve

Rope Assemblies will if you ask them to. They have a very good system where by they stamp the shackle (or wire rope)with their order number and an individual identifier. Makes it easy to work out when you bought the item as well.

http://www.ropeassemblies.co.uk/

T

Cable ties with the write-on area?

I hate cable ties on shackles. They've probably cost me about a pint of blood from my thumbs over the years.

The cheapest, easiest & most permanent way to number your own shackles is probably a simple engraver.

Have to agree with Seano. Write on cable ties are not fun. I do work in a theatre who use these on all their TRS extensions and I catch my fingers on them all the time. Don't want to do the work myself either so like the recommendation from Tom. Thanks for that. Will speak to them.

Steve

Archived