Un known dimmer do you know what it is?

aaronw

It can be done the Betapack way... Get yourself 8x Betapack 3s (the 3s are shiny and new, lovely things); 3200 +VAT list price (so that can realistically be knocked down to 3200 inc VAT). That's 48 channels (which someone quoted earlier), but I can't really see how 96 amps is powering 48 channels; you can't be stretching it very far! It may be that you have fewer channels, which which case you could obviously get fewer Betapacks to replace your dimmers.

If you aren't going to be playing with movers at all, get yourself a Frog desk (aclighting have one ex-demo going for £875 + VAT on their Bargain stock). If you don't own any movers, but may rent some in, it would probably be cheaper to rent in seperate control for them when you do (Something like a Frog Box should do well), but that does mean you can't quite sync up in your show as you would otherwise. If you want provision for movers, ring around your local companies and see what they have kicking about (I know I managed to get my school a Bullfrog for something like £2500 from a local company who had an ex-demo one going). A Fat Frog would do you 48 channels in wide mode, and is a very easy-to-use desk for schools and things.

So, that's a bit over £4k spent. Maybe a bit more on a desk. You'll need a bit of power installed too... If you have 3x 32A supplies, you'll need some more put in for the extra racks (I don't know what your supply is like at the moment; an electrician would need to advise you first-hand having seen the site). Betapacks shouldn't need instalation in themselves; they can run on 32A supplies (though it does limit you to about 1kw per channel), so they just need ceeforms whacked on for their power, and a quick DMX run.

Well, that's a roughly £5k solution for 48 channels for dimming... With portable racks, too, incase you need to move them to another venue!

If you aren't playing with movers at all, then get a 24/48 Jester or a Smartfade.

A 24/96 Smartfade gives you 48 faders and access to 96 dimmers via a couple of page buttons, which would pretty much future-proof the console if you get more dimmers.

Neither of these handle moving lights very well - they'll drive them (it's still DMX), but it's fiddly and the GM doesn't behave as you'd hope.

List price on these consoles is similar to a second-hand Frog.

Dimmer-wise, your best bet will be Betapack/Install 6 or Smart family.

All of these will happily run on the single-phase supply you've got.

If you aren't playing with movers at all, then get a 24/48 Jester or a Smartfade.

List price on these consoles is similar to a second-hand Frog.

Dimmer-wise, your best bet will be Betapack/Install 6 or Smart family.

All of these will happily run on the single-phase supply you've got.

Id have a frog over a jester-purely as it looks nicer on the spec sheet-makes the venue more attractive for hirers.

Dimmer wise Id take Smartpacks Over Beta's but I can undestand the attraction of the beta's (Front mounted sockets).

Tomo might know,can you still get the smart rack? Because that would make installing easier.

[can you still get the smart rack? Because that would make installing easier.

You most certainly can. We have 10 of the little beauties and a smashing rack they are.

'Retail' around £1500, IIRC, but deals can be struck..... (If you find the right dealer)

If the racks have Sub 9D connectors then they are analogue 0 - 10V positive, you might find on eBay (or via the Schools Theatre Support Group) someone with an old Zero or Pulsar desk to sell?

You might consider the Behringer LC2412 but it will only control 12 of your 18 channels via analogue, if you don't mind soldering then the ShowTec Multi Exchanger is usually quite well priced so you could get up & running with your existing dimmers for about £300 +VAT (the LC2412 via DMX to the Multi-Exchanger).

Archived