Flightcase Toolboxes

peter

Anyone got any recommends for where to get a fairly sturdy flightcase toolbox. Seen a few online but am reluctant to buy them as you can't feel the build quality online. Maplins had some for £15 for a while, but they seem to not be there any more.

Any ideas?

I had ABS Cases make me a custom tool case about 10 years ago. It was quite expensive at the time, about £100, but its still as good as new today, and I've never regretted it.

The Maplin case is probably OK if you really look after it, but if its getting thrown on the truck, with the rest of the kit, especially by other people, who may not look after it the way you would, it won't last very long.

Martin

Don't confuse the £15-£20 'camera case' type toolboxes that you'll get from the likes of Maplin or Argos with a proper toolcase. They're somewhere to put your tools, certainly, but if they're going to get any sort of harsh treatment they'll fall apart at the slightest provocation.

If you want to get a proper tool flightcase made up, expect to pay somewhere around the £80-£100 mark for a decent one. I've got an 'everyday' one, which is enough to hold a basic toolkit (screwdrivers, cutters, pliers, strippers, multimeter, gas soldering iron) along with a MicroScope, a bag of DMX bodge plugs, a bit of paperwork and a few other odds and sods, which cost me about £80 about 4 years ago. I've also got a larger (deeper) one, which doesn't get used so often but which is useful if I ever need to carry around anything more than the bits mentioned above, which cost me about £120 about 4 years before that. The former came from Stage Electrics (a cancelled order) and is made by Autopia, the latter was purchased direct from Oakleigh.

Someone else has mentioned Spider Engineering (a.k.a. Flightcase Warehouse) - worth a look, as they have a large stock of second-hand stuff, among which you'll probably find something suitable.

Yup, mine was from ABS and cost £100 +vat IIRC. The cheapy ones are rubbish and will fall apart if used to carry any serious weight.

The problem with a full tour grade case is that it is very heavy. Someone was making some very good cases that were advertised in the back of L&SI not so long ago. They were like the SKB ones - very light and tough. I'm afraid the name escapes me at the moment.

Also, there are usually second hand cases available on Ebay.

Greetings,

The problem you get with proper flight-case Toolboxes is the weight. I have one that weighs more than the tools inside it. I bought a plastic case from a Company called C H Ellis ( from snap on tools) This a light weight polypropylene case with tool trays inside and ATA certified ( baggage handlers at airports can't break it). It's bright Yellow as well so easily spottable. You may need to web search to get details for them.

Hope this helps...

Fleeting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm dragging this one up this time! Just like the last poster I have just got a flightcase style one from BandQ for £30. I am not impressed at all, I doubt it will last me 2 weeks. I really like the look of the cases from spider engineering, they look like they Will last a lifetime. Is there weight really heavy? Are they worth there price tag?

I am looking for a flightcase style instead of an abs.

Cheers

Rich

I am looking for a flightcase style instead of an abs.

I also have an ABS flightcase, and can thoroughly recommend, as others above have. Rich, I'm not sure if your confused (Could just be my interpretation of your post!) but ABS Cases make Flightcase style cases not Plastic (ABS) cases (Confusing I know!).

As to your other questions, they are definatley worth there price tag, mine was about £80 with VAT (Standard Tool Box Mark II I believe, may have been slightly cheaper as I picked it up as was living in london at the time.) had it about 3 - 4 years now, been in various hellish truck packs, various planes, and probably the worst place of all... my car boot! It gets plenty of abuse, stood on to reach something just out of reach, sat on when waiting for "that" truck to arrive, the tea made on it ( <_< well once until I saw somebody doing it!).

I don't find the weight a problem, even when I have to carry it around a lot, obviously the extra deep versions of toolboxes are heavier, as there is more material and more tools being stored but as long as you have a standard box depth and size then it won't be too heavy.

Cheers

Dan

PS also ABS have a great colour range in stock, mine is the Orange, never gets lost in the back of a truck! If lost on site just ask anyone where the orange flightcase is and it's easy to find as opposed to "Anybody seen my black toolbox?", and it matches the colour markings on my tools!

Archived