a puzzle for the electronic buffs

voodooman

I ride a motorbike. Alot. I use a garmin sat nav. I also listen to my I-pod on the go. what I'd like to do is come up with a box that amplifies them independently and combines the 2 audio signals for 1 pair of headphones . it can run of a 12V supply from the bike, but would need regulating. I can make it, but not sure how to go about it. any ideas?

why do you want them amplified individually? Do you mean that you want individual control of both of them? In which case, why not use a summing amplifier (Op-Amp circuit) with pots as your two 'Rins', and a fixed 'Rf'. Then stick it into a transistor for power amplification... bobs your uncle...

pretty easy to do really, unless you don't know the circuit diagram, if you don't, give us a shout and ill draw one out for you

Simon

If you jest want to be able to connected both so that it comes out of one set of headphone just get a headphone splitter and use it in reverse, not for splitting but combining 2 audio streams. ;)

argh! both sat nav and iPods are expensive items...

Of course you could just route your Ipod to one ear and sat nav to the other. no boxes necessary, just a pair of bodged haedphones.

it's so I can control the volume of each input separately, by mounting a couple of pots on the bike fairing.Also to amp it up so I can use headphones over earplugs.(I've got some custom moulded ones with a noise filter in, but the I-pod level isn't quite enough to be heared clearly.) I think the combining them by a y cord would led to a whole world of pain an misery with the signals going back into each other!

so and opamp used as a summing amplifier is what you want, and then a transitor in emiitter follwer configuration, used as a power amplifier. Do you want a circuit diagram?

Simon

that would be champion. any idea where I could get the bits cheap? cpc?

Archived