Automated (DMX) Iris for generic profile

Neil Hampson

I couldn't agree with johnhuson and JimWebber more. Any light source is simply a tool for the lighting designer to create their artistic vision. It's about selecting the right 'tool' for the job. Realising the best solution to the design problem with the resources available.

I disagree with the premise that there is a "use a mover whenever possible" mentaility on BR. Most folks on here advocate using movers when appropriate for artistic reasons, not as an excuse to use movers on principle. What cant be argued is that the commonest source of variable iris size profile spots (apart from a followspot) is a mover, and if someone said to me "I need variable beam angle profile tomorrow" then my first port of call would be a mover.

As an alternative to both a mover and a "proper" iris, could I suggest the High End Color Command, which doesn't move(!), but has variable beam angle, and has a tungsten lamp, and thus dimmable like every other light on the stage. It also can change colour, which may or may not be an advantage, and in rental terms are significantly cheaper than a full mover. It's beam angle whilst variable isn't "from a pinprick to a flood", but it's pretty reasonable.

The only moving light I would ever consider to be useful for a selection of "Special" lantern replacements is the ADB Warp/M, more info Here. With the right options, there is a motorised Iris.

I think that the R/C servos are the first thing to try. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

My view on movers is that they are useful, but only if they can do lots of things. Thomson Hotels with movers were able to cope better (ie less repetative lighting states) for the 14 nights of different entertainment, than the ones with static lights. That said, to just use a mover because we can, may detract from the performance.

there appears to be a common theme on this forum (particularly recently) that as soon as some one requests an idea to produce an effect that can be achieved more than adequately with a generic fixture(s), there is automatically a suggestion that because a moving light has this function, you should use one as it can do so many other things that you may not of initially thought of.

I disagree with the premise that there is a "use a mover whenever possible" mentality on BR.

In fairness I don't think my post, or for that matter Jim's implies a "use a mover whenever possible" culture developing, more an increase in the amount of suggesttions of inappropriate or unnecessary use of moving lights.

The only moving light I would ever consider to be useful for a selection of "Special" lantern replacements is the ADB Warp/M

Any reason why the ETC Revolution and VL1000 don't get considered? They both appear to me to have a lot of "theatrical profile" specific behaviours, which aren't so common in other moving lights.

Thanks for all of the replies, I don't know, I go to London to watch a couple of shows (inc. Wicked), and bang, huge discussions on my topic on the 'mover' generation.

I am going to have a go at a homemade iris first, using R/C servos, if that works all I need to do is buy DMX servo controller from way up the thread. I all else fails I will re-visit the 'mover' option

While much debate has been had over the 'why use a mover', these were my resons for going down the DIY hybrid route:

Very little budget to hire.

The required beam angles would be approx 5 - 40 Deg can a single mover do this in a smooth sweep?

Theatre a stock of Sl's and S4 Zooms

Very tight bar spacing in the grid, no double hanging possible

I had a prelude iris sat on my desk at the time

I can get hold of R/C servos for nothing (Brother has several helicopters in various states of crashed, with at least one working one)

I really consider myself to be part of the 'generic generation' (even at 30), scrollers are still a bit high tech for me.I've never been happy with my efforts with movers.

I'll let you know how I get on...

Archived