Moving Heads (Movers)

tom_the_LD

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is there anyway in which I can close this thread!?

If not I will just leave the thread and let it expire

Tom.

No - you can't close the thread, I'm afraid - only the mods can do that.

However, I wouldn't wish to, to be honest.

It may sound as though we're ganging up on you - rest assured we're NOT! :D

What we're doing (on the whole) is trying to steer you towards looking at options, and not jumping in to rely on movers being your saviour!

Please don't back out just because it might not be quite what you want to hear.

You've started well, and better than some have in previous threads, because you are listening and look as though you've change your approach in some ways, so good for you!

keep at it - we're here to help, however it may seem at times!!

:stagecrew: ;) :** laughs out loud **:

Thanks Ynot that has really made me feel better :stagecrew:

Do you have any more suggestions for me? Although I think that the Robes might have to stay like I said for searchlights and for a couple of other scenes. Although if you can come up with a better alternative I will be glad to listen

P.S. I now also want to keep the thread open ;)

When we did Joseph we didnt use our Macs that much (we own three) and instead used a lot of washes using scrollers etc so we could change the colour. In my opinion you must definately have a wide ranger of colours. It is vital for this production because each scene is so different and it would also be useful for the Elvis scence to flash through differnet colours or use a scroller to acheive a good 80's disco effect.

Thanks Ynot that has really made me feel better :stagecrew:
No problem
Do you have any more suggestions for me? Although I think that the Robes might have to stay like I said for searchlights and for a couple of other scenes. Although if you can come up with a better alternative I will be glad to listen
Are you hiring these Robes? They're a bit OTT if the roving searchlight is the only use...

Clay paky Pin Scans are a possible (cheaper) alternative and also MUCH smaller.

But it depends where these are going to be placed. If there's room, stick a narrow beam angle profile spot on a stand and have someone physically move it about!

P.S. I now also want to keep the thread open ;)
Glad to hear it! :** laughs out loud **:

The robes where going to be hired yes but cheeper is always good :stagecrew::D:D

The movers would be used as searchlights, in one scene one is going to be used as a sun slowly moving across the back, they are going to be used as police lights (this is not the main use. I would do it with generics if we didnt have movers but if we do then would be handy), they are also used for in a nightclub scene (which they are particualuy good for because of the ability to move AND change colour, and many other things.

The robes where going to be hired yes but cheeper is always good :stagecrew::D:D

The movers would be used as searchlights, in one scene one is going to be used as a sun slowly moving across the back, they are going to be used as police lights (this is not the main use. I would do it with generics if we didnt have movers but if we do then would be handy), they are also used for in a nightclub scene and many other things.

OK - so the recommendation stands - forget the movers altogether!

You can perhaps use a couple of profiles as described for searchlights - maybe one could double up as your 'sun', depending on availability of position. (That may need an iris to get the shape small enough).

Police lights?? Not sure what you mean there...

And in a disco scene, you'd probably be best to hire in 3 or 4 small disco-mirrors - will be FAR better than trying to emulate with a Robe!!

OK thanks. I think I will do all that you have suggested. -- FORGET THE MOVERS!!

Although the 1 show I was involved in (but didnt do lights for as I was playing keyboards and drums in the band) was return to the forbidden planet. That needed movers and all the stuff we had because it is such an exceptional show!!

Including:

8 Trackspots

4 Robe

1 Laser for use on the disco ball

LOOOADS of other stuff

(although this was a more professional group so they had the money to spend. Unlike a school)

hooray! There is a nightclub scene - that means the movers actually have a real job.

Follow spots are often used as searchlights because they can move very differently to movers - what do the searchlights get used for - as in what use would the real thing have in the scene?

Money wise, you'll get a lot more generic kit for your money!

did you decide on a moving light control in the end?

moderation wise - the forum only closes threads when they have come to a dead stop, or start to go around in circles - this one is now moving nicely. I'm afraid that members can't have a thread closed down unless something in it contravenes the T&Cs - to do so wrecks all the other peoples efforts, who might wish to keep it open - after all, everybody who has posted has responsibility for what they've said in their contributions - and having something closed, still leaves it visible, but with people unable to add their bit. usually, when they get a bit dull, they just trickle away.

Paul

I am still going to be using the ETC 48/96 but these are really good for generic kit I find - maybe because I use them a fair bit!

We have a sirius 24 by zeroo 88 at our school (quite nice desk) but for this I am going to need something more powerful and as the 48/96 offer cam up I accepted

Paul - No movers

Is there anyway this thread can be closed because it isnt really needed anymore?

You can't just ask the moderators to close a thread just because the replies you're getting are a bit too honest for your liking and are highlighting your lack of knowledge. Rather than persistently asking for the thread to be closed, perhaps you should be listening to what people are writing in reply to you, and learning from it. Someone who's been charged with lighting a show, but doesn't know the difference between a PC and a fresnel, should be grateful for any help that they can get!

You can't just ask the moderators to close a thread just because the replies you're getting are a bit too honest for your liking and are highlighting your lack of knowledge. Rather than persistently asking for the thread to be closed, perhaps you should be listening to what people are writing in reply to you, and learning from it. Someone who's been charged with lighting a show, but doesn't know the difference between a PC and a fresnel, should be grateful for any help that they can get!

Incase you havent read all of the comments on here I have been listening FYI :stagecrew:

Addition : Having now read the second page of this topic after replying to a post on the first, it seems that some of the advice is finally sinking in and you're approaching the task from a more realistic point of view. That's good news.

Don't start getting snotty with me just because I'm suggesting, in response to an earlier post, that you take notice of advice which I now discover, having read the remainder of the topic, you have finally decided to accept.

Hi Tom,

A few suggestions to produce the effects you require as you've decided not to go down the moving light route, which is your best option in my opinion.

Police Lights - Most hire companies still have blue beacons similar to those found on Police cars in their hire stock for just such an effect. If your local company don't then shop around, as there quite small and light you might be able to get them from a more distant supplier and sent by post/parcel.

Search Lights - A budget solution I've seen to this is some of those high powered torches you can get these days operated by some strategically placed stage crew (in blacks of course).

Nightclub Scene - As suggested by others, hiring low cost (well cheaper than a moving head) disco effects is an easy way to go to achieve this. Most hire companies have a stock of 'disco kit' and most will run off sound to light, although that my look cheesy for somethings works very well for a nightclub scene.

Mirror Ball - Been covered by others but I would second the suggestion of some sort of fixed colour changing fixture, be it an all in one unit or a generic with a scroller. In fact I've even seen cheesy colour wheels for pinspots which would probably work for you as well.

Hope that helps a little, good luck and I hope you learn from this experience.

Finally if you post on here again which we all hope you will, try and remember that even though it may seem like were all ganging up on you, were not. There are a lot of very experienced people on here, and most will give you constructive criticism about your idea. Don't take it to heart, just try to take in what has been said. Heck I wish I had a resource like this when I was your age, would of saved me a lot of learning by mistakes! Though on the flip side I'm glad moving lights weren't so cheap, available and common place when I was learning as it made me learn the basics first!

Archived