Cable Tester

petemullard

It doesn't seem to do anything that you couldn't do with a cheap multipeter (and you can test other things with the multimeter).

I guess if you have a lot of cables to check it would be faster using this item to test them.

Personally I think I'll stick with my multimeters.

I quite like the Behringer one (ducks for cover..)

doesn't quite have the same selection of inputs (no speakon) - but the matrix immediately shows what's connected to what, and the "intermittent test" (or "wiggle test") feature is useful for finding dodgy connections.

It does me well that tester, admittedly I often wish I had speakon connectors built onto it but then the price would go up. Don't forget the Behringer unit also has the ability to produce test tones which can come in handy. The Behringer display is clear and quick to read-which just goes to show everything which glitters (silver) isn't necessarily bad. I don't think having a Behringer cable tester is anything to get hung up about.

Re. the multimeter. If you've got a complex set of wires to go into something where it would be very expensive to bring them down/out/repair in situ the cable tester for the XLRs very quickly becomes more time efficient as it simulateously tests for both continuity between pins and crossed wires. Also handy for working out how miscellaneous bodges are wired, in short I don't go to a gig without mine.

Jim

Well I would put in a vote for the one the OP has listed, I have one of those and find it superior to the behringer in build quality and choice of connectors, however the behringer does have some useful functions that the terralec one doesn't, it depends if you want to use it as a basic cable tester or a tone and noise generator!!!

;) And I really don't think that it is that easy to test speakon's with a multimeter...

P.

I have both types but the cheaper one is what I use as it has speakons and is totally straight-forward I can give it to a student/ work experience kid and have it working in minutes.Less buttons and lights but does everything I need.

There are two sets of leds, the bottom row is green and the top row yellow.Set the switch to 1, if there is a connection the green light above 1 will light and the yellow leds above each contact on the other plug light up.If no leds light there is no connection.Set switch to 2 and repeat.etc.If the red ground led lights there is a connection between the corresponding contacts and the chassis.There is a pair of banana sockets for continuity[led and buzzer]I could test 10 cables in the time it took to write this.If the guy with the multimeter can test all the options on a 5 pin din lead let alone a converter he's a better man than I am.You get 5 pin din 4 pin speakon XLR rca and trs jack.Plus battery check.

you can also get little cable testers built into the end of a male XLR connector - these are great on a gig if you want to quickly find out if theres a problem with your XLR cable. All you need to do is put phantom power down the cable from you desk, and the LED lights up a different colour depending on what the fault is - clever stuff.

you can pick them up off eBay for a tenner, or canford audio do a slightly more expensive one. Theres also one called 'the rat', don't know how much these are though, or where to get them from.

Thomann sell a sound a Millenium version, which is just a re-badged version of the one in the op (and is a couple of quid cheaper). I use this one all the time, It is of good build quality, and I like the selection of connectors. It is certainly sufficient for my needs. LINK

Richard.

Archived