Cable Tester

petemullard

you can also get little cable testers built into the end of a male XLR connector - these are great on a gig if you want to quickly find out if theres a problem with your XLR cable. All you need to do is put phantom power down the cable from you desk, and the LED lights up a different colour depending on what the fault is - clever stuff.

you can pick them up off eBay for a tenner, or canford audio do a slightly more expensive one. Theres also one called 'the rat', don't know how much these are though, or where to get them from.

It's the 'Rat Sniffer' from Rat Sound in California. They will give you good deals on shipping. Speak to Daniella.

Rat Sound

http://ratsound.com/ratsales/images/snifsend.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got myself one of the Behringer ones, and like it a lot. The big win for me was the intermittent fault detection, as this has hit me in the past. I also like the fact it runs of AAs rather than PP3s.

Swings and roundabouts otherwise against the generic "twiddle the knob one" - that has Speakons, but the Behringer has 3.5mm jacks - which I often come up against. On balance, I think the 3.5mm jacks would be of more use to me than the Speakons. And you can always use test probes to test continuity on *any* connector (both units support this.

Also, the Behringer is only a 3 pole tester, whereas the generic is a 5 pole tester - presumably it will check fully wired DINs, whereas the Behringer will only to "classic" MIDI.

Has anyone opened up the Behringer unit to see if there's space to retrofit Speakons?

End verdict for me, the Behriner was the one I bought, and I'm not disappointed. But for only another £11 or so I could buy the other one for Speakons & fully wired MIDI cables. Both testers together would still only come to around £30.

Archived