Equalisers?

DanMerc

Regarding your original post, you're at school to learn, so do it. Copy the settings of the eq onto a bit of paper so that you can reset it, and then learn what happens when you change it. Play a song you know well, and try to make it sound the best you can. Sound is subjective, you may think it sounds the dogs, but Mrs Smith thinks it's crap cos she can't hear her little Jimmy singing. We all know that's because Jimmy's not singing, and there's nothing you can do about that. You can't please all of the people......... so just make sure you please yourself, the chances are it'll sound ok.

I think that one of the problems in this topic is basically a lack in the chain of command, certain people weren't doing their jobs properly, and others were left to pay the consequences. :angry:

99% of the time, sound engineers only get noticed if they mess up.

Tomo, SLAP!

Usually I get commended for providing a good sound, and get plenty of free advertising / work because of it. So in this instance I actually get noticed for my profesionalism.

What you are basically talking about is the fact that the general public don't care about who does what, what gear is used, weather it's Martin or Robe's, JBL or V'Dosc, they just want to be entertained.

We are the people who care, but unfortunatley, the general public are just not interested.

(Or is that fortunatley) :huh:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you are basically talking about is the fact that the general public don't care about who does what, what gear is used, weather it's Martin or Robe's, JBL or V'Dosc, they just want to be entertained.

We are the people who care, but unfortunatley, the general public are just not interested.

(Or is that fortunatley) :cold:

I infrequently, but appreciatedly get comments from people who generally have no idea what I'm doing to the positive. To be fair, we are part of the entertainment. A "small" part in the eyes of the public, but a large part in their ears.

More frequently however, I do hear the criticisms primarily.

[edit]Oh look, I was beaten to it[/edit]

Yes, by a week... it's always a good idea to read a thread in its entirety before jumping in with a response. :cold:

Quite right. I intended to click on the "page 3" button, but somehow missed. :( Oh well. I think the second edit I made is somewhat more appropriate and makes me look like less of an idiot. :** laughs out loud **:

I think the second edit I made ... makes me look like less of an idiot.

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? But editing and changing the content of your own posts once someone has replied to them, especially if they've quoted part of your post in their reply, is extremely bad form, and is frowned upon both here and in other internet forums.

We have a couple of radio mics and we allow people to use them if they ask us and we think it's appropriate. We then include it in our technical script.

But, no, let's just take the mics off the desk without asking. Let's give it to someone else without saying anything to the techs.

Oh, but the best one of all, was "let's take it into the toilets and leave it by the sink!" We were running around like headless chickens for a missing mic that someone had left in the toilet!

The worst of it is that the audio and lighting is ridicolous as it is done from the left of the stage. Yes ladies and gents, we aren't at the back or even mid way down the hall, we are at the left of the stage. Best place to see where the lights fall and being directly underneath a speaker is the best place to hear what the audience hears.

When something goes wrong, it usually isn't our fault, yet we have 50+ heads turn left and glare at us. Then the audience follows suit. We're stood there feeling like complete t*ts when someone has switched their microphone off, thinking they had turned it on. Short of me walking in front of the stage, going over there, turning it on and walking back, there's not a great deal we can do. But we'll blame the techs anyway!

Hi Dan

I no were your coming from

I do a lot of work in schools for concerts etc and from experience I have had to put a man on the stage to give out the correct radio Mic to who ever and when ever it is required, make sure it is on and so on

on bigger jobs you will tend to find that this the job of the monitor tech or there will be a sound runner for this

that is the only way to get round this (well I think so)

Does anyone else have to deal with people who think they know better than you when they in fact know very little?

unfortunatly yes I'm 16 and pratically the only one in the school that knows how to operate the the sound and lighting equipment.

I started up a group after school to teach other drama students how to use it. I had some younger kids come along and we were fine untill it came to the show. they were all willing to help but there was one that insisted that he knew what he was doing (and didn't for that matter) but anyway. I set up and then went home untill show time. when I had got back the rest of the crew were basically bitching about this lad which I was kinda annoyed about untill I found out that he had took out all the cable from the 32 channel mixer that we have that was all eq'd to each person and around the stage and started again because 'it was all wrong' apparently.

so I find my self eq'ing live as each character came on throughout the show. a fun experience I could say.....** laughs out loud **

unfortunatly yes I'm 16 and pratically the only one in the school that knows how to operate the the sound and lighting equipment.

I bet some of the others know what the shift key on your keyboard does though! :)

• 2 weeks later...
If you are only running tops anything below 40Hz cut off 63Hz should then be just below centre 100Hz just above centre then the rest flat. This will help clean up your sound. use the EQ then for 'feedback problems ONLY'. If you want more bass or treble use then 'pots' mark low mid high etc.

Archived