moving heads,

The Boogie Man

Is it just me, or does that make no sense at all? Someone unplugged the DMX from your hazer, yet you still had control over it?
I'm assuming that he means that for some reason controlling it from the desk didn't result in a high haze o/p, but when it got unplugged he set the controls on the machine itself to give a constant output.

Yes?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I run 10 led pars per side set to the same addresses on the left and right, at 4 addresses per can thats 40 adds on a desk yes?

No if they're all set to the same address then they would only consume 4 channels, this isn't ideal though as you won't have individual control of the fixtures. What you want to do is address them individually or maybe pair them if you want to save DMX channels.

So be careful you dont over haze the room, as you will get complaints possibly, like I did of "that smoke is causing my asthma, and hurts my chest."

When haze fluid cant as its water based, although oil based can, so watch out for that also.

Wrong both water based which aren't based purely on water, the fluid used is generally Glycol, and oil based (refined Mineral Oil) machines are harmful if used in excessive quantities, though exposure to your average punter is generally well within acceptable limits. There is some info on the HSE website here, I believe there has also been some discussion on here about it as well.

Slightly off topic, but people were mentioning startup currents. I seem to remember that certain movers delay their striking depending on their DMX address, so they don't all strike at the same time. I think it was Mac's, but I'm not entirely sure. Does anybody know if it's true or not.

Also, I've just read the manual for the Thomas Pixellines, and the surge current on them is apparently 160A, but then they drop down to a few milliamps, so if you do get a rig of LED pars, it would be worth bearing in mind!!

*Preference for what you need I would go either avolites, jands or hog.*

I think you are missing the scale of the budget here! As I understand it The Boogie Man is a small band/solo musician and is looking for a small lighting rig to enhance his performance which he can operate using a foot pedal. Therefore although it would be great to have a Jands or a Hog I’m not sure the budget will quite stretch to a £15,000 lighting desk which can output 7 Universes of DMX! Lets be realistic rather than suggesting "wish list" equipment.

The Boogie Man has already mentioned that he has a number of PC based lighting controllers. I think this would be a more than suitable method of control for the sort of system that has been suggested.

I would recommend the Chamsys Magic Q software (www.chamsys.co.uk) and is available as a free (supported) download for Mac OS or Windows. Essentially it is a Hog 2 in its operating system (I understand it was developed by the guys who developed the Hog 2 software before leaving High End) and you can connect media servers to it directly for "future proofing" if you ever want to expand to video content or a greater number of LED fixtures. It will also link directly with enttec USB - DMX device (www.enttec.com/index.php?menu=Products&prod=70304) and provide full DMX512. I would recommend the Pro device as the DMX is better and putts less strain on your PC processor. However I do not know about MIDI connectivity but it would probably be possible using some kind of MIDI to USB device??

I make that a £10,000 lighting desk with full DMX512 output, which can be controlled from a laptop for 123Euro!!

I hope that helps and makes less of a dent on you Budget!

Jonny

I seem to remember that certain movers delay their striking depending on their DMX address, so they don't all strike at the same time. I think it was Mac's, but I'm not entirely sure. Does anybody know if it's true or not.
Don't know what fixtures they could be, but I don't think its Mac's. Even the new ones... They all seemed to strike at the same time, or I'd be doing a few at a time via the desk.

Also, I've just read the manual for the Thomas Pixellines, and the surge current on them is apparently 160A, but then they drop down to a few milliamps, so if you do get a rig of LED pars, it would be worth bearing in mind!!
Actually its 32A (peak startup draw) not 160A. Just had a look at the manual myself again and it confirms 32A peak draw on start up and 150w in running mode. Only recently I had 8 of the things happily ran off a 16A outlet, all powered up at the same time. Didn't give me any hassle.

I think JTE have recently updated the spec PDF as I do remember reading at one time something in their about a rather large start-up current.. Doesn't look 100% correct now 32a startup on 230v/50hz and only 16a for 110v/60hz?? Shouldn't it be the other way, as their voltage coming out the wall is lower in the US the ampage should be higher than it is for us? Or is it just me being a moose again :blink:?

1) Anyone know if the el'cheap'o LED pars from showtec have a similar large current draw on start up and 2) why do the JTE pixel units have the large start up draw?

Tom

*appologies for the :)'ness , just felt the pixelline point had to be discussed..*

If you look at the manual for the Pixelline 1044 then it says that the startup current is 32A, but if you look at the Pixelline 110 then it staes 128A.

I guess the Mac thing makes sense, if you are lamping on from the desk, then you can stagger it, however if not then it provides a way of ensuring that you can switch on a rig without tripping things. Do any other manufacturers do this?

Do any other manufacturers do this?

the Clay Parky Zoom 1200s have the feature of remotely striking, which can be disabled by the dip switches.

edit: I'm assuming then that some of ther other larger CP lights will have the same feature, the Stage 300s don't.

Martin Macs do do the 'delayed lamp strike' thing - when set to ALON, they strike automatically after a short delay that's proportional to the DMX address of the fixture.

Oh, fair enough. Just too used to striking from the desk as thats how most hired ML's come pre-set.

I guess the Mac thing makes sense, if you are lamping on from the desk, then you can stagger it, however if not then it provides a way of ensuring that you can switch on a rig without tripping things. Do any other manufacturers do this?
Yes the inbuilt staggered lamp strikes a good idea for when you can't strike via the desk.. But when would their be much point to this? The 'strike' command is just a constant DMX value for a few seconds, so surely any desk outputting DMX/running the actual MLs would be capable of doing said task? Only thought would be if they were being run from an non ML aware desk where patching together of channels is happening.. But yessss, I'm splitting hairs.

I think most of the newer MLs by a fair few companies I.e Vari*lite, coemar, SGM, High End, CP and a whole lot more I can't remember, have the capability to remote strike. Its just become standard feature thats useful to have. Not sure how it is on other desks (though I'm sure they have this feature) is on Avo consoles you get Macro's such as Lamp On and Off. Whats the others I've seen sometimes, oh, fan speeds, PT speeds. Good idea having DMX commands, just wait till all these new network type of protocols get used more and more, It'll be like the old VLs with the Virtuoso desks where the light will tell the desk if its been knocked or some other kind of error.

In regards to surge current of pixel lines.. why don't they take out breakers if its as high as the spec sheet says? Just too short a period of time/the breakers aren't that sensitive?

Tom

Yes the inbuilt staggered lamp strikes a good idea for when you can't strike via the desk.. But when would their be much point to this? The 'strike' command is just a constant DMX value for a few seconds, so surely any desk outputting DMX/running the actual MLs would be capable of doing said task? Only thought would be if they were being run from an non ML aware desk where patching together of channels is happening.. But yessss, I'm splitting hairs.

I can think of plenty of situations. In a theatre, when the ML dizzy is on stage, and the desk is tucked away on the other side of three flights of stairs. When you come in to do a lamp check, it's a lot easier if the lamps come on automatically, rather than having to take a half hour walk to turn the desk on.

When you've just flown a rig, it is always nice to be able to turn them on, and see that they all strike before you go for the long walk to the desk, only to find you have to come all the way down again. I know that now I'm gonna get lots of people saying "why don't you just use the riggers" to which I'll reply "Somebody decided to use it as an iron buffer and we can't afford to replace it yet"

Whenever I see a new nodding bucket out there, they all have a lot of fancy functions that I sit there and think 'why would you ever need that' but then you go off and do a job in less than ideal circumstances and begin to really appreciate it.

Archived