fly tower

paul freeman

I don't think the drawing is to scale, but yes, the cradle should be further down on the single purchase, otherwise it would be very difficult to rig the bar.

The Double purchase system has the hauling line wrong, if this were the case, then the bar would only travel half way in, or half way out depending on how you look at it

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observant people - I couldn't quite figure out how to show clearly a double purchase system with a double purchase hauling line without making the two sets of pulleys one over the other and having an unrealistic scale size. The version with the fixed top and bottom rope was very confusing when scaled down to A4 paper (where these versions lived). As for the cradle positions - you have to assume that for some very odd reason, this theatre can't get the bars in - (as you've noticed, this is a small, er, design issue) - I'll sort the drawings when I have a chance. Fun thning is nobody ever noticed till now!!

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/dbflydetail.jpg

Does this make it clearer? It isn't very elegant, but I guess does show it a bit more clearly.

Sorry Paul, I'm being picky. I'm sure you know this anyway, bit for the benefit of the OP and others who are not familiar with flying. When the cradle is up at the very top, the bar is at the bottom of its travel, this is the position where things are loaded onto the bar and is usually about waist height. At the position the bar is in on the drawing, the cradle should have started its journey down the cage. In fact if the proportions of the drawing are correct, then the cradle should be about halfway down the wall.

Fun thning is nobody ever noticed till now!!

Ha ha - thats what you get for posting your drawings on the pickiest forum around. Everyone's a critic. :angry:

Glitches aside though, they're nice clear illustrations, good effort.

right then.

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/dbldetail.jpg

how about this version of the double purchase system. For the pendants - yes - I realise the bar travel is far too small, but the when everything is scaled correctly, it needs a large bit of paper, and has far too many bank white bits.

Yes, but its not nice to call them that.... :)

There is normally a second platform above the fly platform that you can load the cradle from.

But I have seen several venues where you either need gibbon like quality's to load up the cradle, or you have to go for the old: Drop it in. hang a couple of lights. Back out so you can counter-weight it. Repeat as required.... :angry:

we have the option to mount the rope locks at either fly floor or stage, but decided it would be silly and double the cost to have locks at both positions simultaneously. why we liked the idea of options is because there may be one fly cue in a show which could be handled by competent stage management, having the option to operate from stage level saves their legs, and saves us having a flyman getting very bored on the flyfloor.

having them at stage level is quite common practice in America, I believe.

Archived