Please Recommend DMX Lighting Software

catchthebuzz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

I'm back since some months.

Last summer we produced a theater where I used a Mambo Frog for conventionals (24-28 channels) and about 30 Roboscans 518.

Mambo Frog worked quite well but we think that there are some bugs in that desk. We've bought it in ebay and assume that there are some issue in it.

Therefore we decided to change to a PC based solution for a similar production.

We've got some hints. Now I want to evaluate a optimal solution.

I've found and checked some older threads

such as http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?show...=21040&st=0

including this one.

The most posts are very interesting and helpful but about 5 years old.

My question is:

What's your valuation of today (December 2010)?

What I've seen is that on the list above for example grandMA onPC (http://www.malighting.com/control.html?&am...Hash=e6a9544af8)

is missing.

I would be very glad to hear your opinion for the use especially for a theater production.

Thank

Regards from Switzerland

Urs

The market has indeed moved on some what in the last five years - several of the "big" consoles now have an onPC solution as well as us (Trace Lighting), Chamsys and a number of others which are software first and have (in our case sadly yet to be released - we're working on it!) hardware input options.

As to theatre suitability I can't comment on grandMA, but we're about to release a new revision of the software which takes on-board a lot of peoples feedback, including a number of features aimed at theatre use. I'll put an announcement in the software releases sub-forum when that happens. Certainly we do currently have such things as move whilst dark and so on, but for use the much more configurable fades system we're testing at the moment will be very useful.

Software and hardware as ever available from our website, link below.

• 2 months later...

Archived