Followspot Operator Protection

Dj Dunc

I recently had to followspot with a R & V beam light.... no shutters, no colour magazine (manual colour changes all the way) and some dodgy sights made out of earth wire....

The biggest problem was actually seeing the beam on the bright stage....

I still have a faint burn scar on my forearm from brushing against the corner of the casing on a SuperTrouper last Edinburgh Festival. Great spots (although heavy), but why put the controls on the top - the hottest part of the unit?

Because IMHO they're the best spots in the world!

R&V beamlights are a bit of a pig to use as spots,did the ones you were using have internal or external transformers!

I'm lumbered with some Pani followspots (don't understand what people see in the things myself, its like buying old pattXX stuff instead of S4/PAC )

As a designer, I quite like Pani followspots - the long throw lens being particularly useful in one of the bigger local venues. The alternative there is a Selecon Performer (I think) with a 2.5kW tungsten lamp. By the time the beam hits the stage there's nothing left of it, the photons having expired en route. The Selecon gets outrageously hot too.

I'm intrigued - What would you rather use Andrew?

Regards,

Marc

Unfortunately handles are optional on some follow spots such as the Selecon Performer 2500. As a retrofit you can make handles from 500 watt flood yokes with a round wooden handle fitted between the ends of the U shaped yoke with the flat top part of the yoke fitted to the follow spot body. Some follow spots such as the Selecon Performer 2500 have a extrusion slot along the side of the follow spot that allows you to slide the retrofit handle to where it suits the operator. Using an old yoke puts the handle further away from the hot metalwork.

If you fit a 575 discharge lamp to old follow spots you get increased light output for less running temperature.

If you fit a 575 discharge lamp to old follow spots you get increased light output for less running temperature.

Please tell me you fitted some sort of UV protection! Giving turns eye damage is not my idea of fun....

In preference to Pani, (and they were chosen to fit in narrow gantry's) Something in the Lyian HP range. (Although they have stopped the 1200w model, and the dimmer tends to look ropy at very low levels.) Not used them but Truss Troupers would be a good alternative. Colour Arcs are also quite good, but I dont think they are in production these days. (And to be fair are fairly complicated)

Yes Super Trouper 2's are very good, if you have the massive space they need! And they are ambidextrous which can be a huge advantage.

My big objections to Pani's can be summed up by the fact that the company redesigned the 1200 into the 1202, the change? they took out the blackout shutter, so you HAD to buy a dimmer shutter. The reflector is terrible, and the center controls get to hot to hold. Oh and the standard Pani boomerang is pish too.

Yes they are very bright, but thats because people are forever comparing them with converted profiles. They only profile I personally would bother converting into a followspot would be a Pacific fitted with a 575 arc lamp. It would probably actually be brighter than a Pani !

....If you fit a 575 discharge lamp to old follow spots you get increased light output for less running temperature.
Please tell me you fitted some sort of UV protection! Giving turns eye damage is not my idea of fun...

Unless you have modified the spot to use fused quartz optics then the glass lenses will filter out any hazardous UV from the lamp.

David

Archived