Replacement for heavy flats?

Johnno

2x1 at 24" intervals on an 8x4 with an edging frame and 4 or 6mm ply seems to work for a few people.

Having just been down the shop building some Hollywood style flats exactly like this (although admittedly with 3x1), I can testify if it's the weight that's the problem using canvas is going to be the far better option...an inherently flamed proofed fabric such as muslin would work well.

I may be being paranoid here, but I think that students and canvas flats are possibly a bad mix. I give it a week before some little darling manages to put a chair leg, or piece of batten they are carrying through the canvas...

I guess that soft legs are far more resiliant?

Jim

Do you want to be able to move the masking to suit the shows or will it ALWAYS be in exactly the same place?

You don't mention any height in your posts - or if you have flying facilities?

If you want to move the masking for shows and you don't have flying I would suggest 3"x1" timber frame covered in black wool serge with a hinged french ('A' frame) brace on the back. I have 8 of these at work (14' high, 4' wide) and I can move one of these quite easily on my own. A shorter flat (10' or 12') will be even easier.

Obviously this will depend upon your skills/training/competency etc. in running flats (People - please don't post saying this is a H&S issue - the OP needs to assess his situation and see if it safe before carrying it out!)

Soft legs would be easier if they stay in the same place everytime.....can you put them on short tab tracks so to move them out of the way you just run them off along the track?

Using flats is a H&S issue as I know to my cost I was touring a show and in a little town called Broome I brushed away a leg only to break a bone in the back of my hand as the 'legs' were black fabric stretched over a dexion frame and so I had to do a 5000km trip over gravel roads with a broken hand.In a school situation the kids are on a brightly lit stage and then in a blackout have to get off quickly if only one of them gets it wrong and runs into the edge of a flat you have a serious situation and questions about 'risk assessment' will take on a whole new meaning.So I seriously suggest that using flats as wings is a dangerous practise.

Do you want to be able to move the masking to suit the shows or will it ALWAYS be in exactly the same place?

You don't mention any height in your posts - or if you have flying facilities?

Soft legs would be easier if they stay in the same place everytime.....can you put them on short tab tracks so to move them out of the way you just run them off along the track?

I want to be able to move the masking when there aren't any shows; during shows they'd be fixed.

Not much height and no flying.

Soft legs sounds right for us from what has been said here and there are some unused short tracks already up. I think that's the route to research.

Thanks for your help.

David A -

Using flats as wings is not a dangerous practise, whether you are in a school or not.

It does depend upon your risk assessment and also your rehearsal time.

I work in a drama school and prior to every production the students get a safety talk from me about the stage and whatever is on it, behind it, at the side of it - whether that is a full blown set or just a few masking flats. Then we have various technical and dress rehearsals to solve problems.

Getting kids offstage quickly in a blackout is not a problem if you work it out and rehearse it. Many venues do it time and time again...

But maybe, re-reading your post, you were touring in an unknown venue and no-one had talked you through any aspects of the venue - hence the reason for your accident.

But please don't scare the slightly less knowledge people, who read the BR to gain some knowledge, by saying "using flats as wings is dangerous practise" when such items are used safely by millions of theatre practitioners throughout the world.

Making a cup of coffee can be "dangerous" if you don't do it correctly - whoever thought of of using electricity to heat water!!!!

Given a choice of hard wood or steel flats which are a potential hazard or cloth legs which are not, then common sense would tell me to use the cloth, especially for blacks which are designed not to be seen.Of course if the flats are scenery they need to be worked around but flats as scenery are painted and are more easily seen.I am the last person you would describe as a H&S nut but spending hours practising to avoid a hazard as opposed to removing it seems quite illogical.

Archived