Patt 45 lamps

timtheenchanteruk

I am a Strand supporter from way back, I used to work for them. They produced some good lanterns such as the Patt23 which had several updates including shutters, a faceted reflector, Patt23 MK2, a green paint finish and the Patt123 Fresnel BUT the Patt45 was a budget Fresnel without a reflector and is something to get rid of and replace with a Fresnel with a decent reflector and lens.

• 11 months later...

If memory serves the 123 was a mid 60's development designed specifically for a show in the west end as the current strand stocks of the time were either to big or pants. the P45 is a great chip warmer and dates from around the early to mid 50's (as direct competition to the furse oval shaped fresnels with the same size lense and even worse than a 45) the 45 is ideal for small special cover or a #15 wash in a small 4 colour band rig in a small venue. but replace them with a 123 and you will relegate them to chip warming duties. for years we had 45's, 123's, 833's and later on 803's (650w with reflectors the 833 did not have reflectors. To this day we still use the 123's daily and on a lot of rigs out and about (hey if its not broken why fix it) the 803's are used most of the time but the 45's are hung in the store waiting for a small 4 colour band night rig in a village hall somewhere, or for a special booster.

No matter what you try the light output will never be any better and T17's are really a little to fragile for the traditonally rough lamp adjustment (focus) tray. I Know Stage electrics in exeter still or did when I last looked.

Nout wrong with the 137's they have there uses and still do and I still use them in the smaller venues or when I run out Coda's or patt 60's

Cheers

Nick

From the depths of ancient memories I seem to remember T1's with a silvered section on the globe, -- new reflector each lamp.

Yes, there definitely was a T1 with integral silvering which IIRC was for use in those old models that didn't have a reflector of their own.

tim.., I wouldn't bother spending too much money on a T17 for a P45, it might be cheaper to pick up a couple of old 123's and the light output would certainly be better.

I had forgotton about those old squashed-baked-bean-can Furse fresnels which had, what seemed like, a 2" lens and no reflector. Stop it, I am getting all misty eyed...

//edit for stupidity: Whoops. Wrong January. I'll get the hang of the 2008 thing by March , deffo.

Moderation: Tim posted the original question a year ago - I suspect the problem has 'gone away', as he's not mentioned it again. Please folks - be careful when you add an answer to a long dead topic that we don't just repeat all the old stuff again.

Archived