Discreet, high quality and loud enough for free jazz

bluejudeto

Thanks again everyone and now I wonder what vocal mics shall I buy...!

IMHO;

Vocals, my favourite for the ££s, Sennheiser E865. Absolutly wonderful.

Fiddle, acc gtr KM84's - can be a pain near monitors tho.

Everyone will have their pet mics. Try & get a selection on loan from a friendly dealer & have a play.

Dave

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems to me close mic'd C1000's/NT5's or the like are far better in a small space?

For close miking instruments I wouldn't go near the C1000...one of the nastiest, harshest sounds ever made.

The NT5 is nice or, if your budget it tight, the SE Electronics SE1A does a good job for very little money.

For vocals the Sennheiser 865 is nice. If you're wealthy, the KMS105 is lovely on most female vocals. If dynamics are more your price range, Audix OM5/OM6 are great favourites of mine, to my ancient ears a much nicer sound than an SM58.

And everybody needs a few SM57s.

Bob

Guy,

If I were you I'd seriously ask fuzion (UK importer) if they can put you in touch with someone who would be willing to do a demo of the gear locally. Remember that any dealer worth his salt can also probably do a better deal than thomann on a rig this size. If you get really stuck, a quick google found these guys in belfast: http://www.reasound.co.uk/ and you could probably get a listen on a ps15 or a ps10 based rig in your space with them.

I think you're being a bit optimistic with your ps15 pricing btw : ( Including NI sales tax and del it comes to about 17000 euro with vortex 6 amps.

M

PS- Paul, I always thought, like '58s that people bought c1000s because they bounced. I've always though it a strange by product of such a conservative industry that as long as a product makes its way into the marketplace forcefully enough, it takes a heck of lot of effort to shift the riders and requests to a better bit of gear.

I'm so glad somebody else hates the sound of C1000s - I really thought it was just me who found them harsh, hard, horrible and amazingly popular. never understood it!

I've gotta say as the owner of a couple of C1000's, I think they suck - I've yet to find a role for them. A personal opinion you understand.

Dave

I'm so glad somebody else hates the sound of C1000s - I really thought it was just me who found them harsh, hard, horrible and amazingly popular. never understood it!

I've gotta say as the owner of a couple of C1000's, I think they suck - I've yet to find a role for them. A personal opinion you understand.

Dave

Lots of people hate them - but the old, dark grey versions I have sound good on fiddle. I've never tried the silver ones so I don't know if they changed them or if my ears are a little strange.

Cheers

James.

You could look at the Audix range of mics. They seem to have mics for every occasion. You would find that the ADX 51 is great on instruments. But one to try is the ADX 20i, I have used this on brass instruments with stunning results. For drums you cannot go past the D-series. Use the the D-6 on a kick drum, this is becoming the industry standard for kicks. D-4 for toms. I have only recently started using Audix and I am very impressed. We just got in a matched pair of SCX 25 that I am dying to try on a Grand piano. :yahoo:

d&b Ci80's. and if u want a bigger bottom, slip in a E12-sub. honest.. will work a treat.

I'd say the E12s would be a bit underpowered to go with the CI 80s, though if it's a small room and space is a consideration it would be better than nothing. our E12s go with E3 tops; with our CI 90s we use Qsub - reasonably poky in not too big a box.

PS10s are nice boxes, but the LS500s suck. If something with good sub is what you need, I'd look elsewhere (or be prepared to have a big old pile of LS500s).

I'd look at Opus audio (but then I almost always would). Prices are very good, as you're dealing direct with the manufacturer, there's no middle man to pay. They're likely to be happy to come demo for you when your building's finished too, and they'll install if you decide to buy.

an example : IMO Turbosound floodlight sounds absolutely awful, but alot will disagree.

Ha. I'll see your floodlight and raise you a UPA-1. Just one for your pair, mind you :wacko:

It is funny how to some people certain systems just sound plain ugly. And its something that never comes out on the spec sheet...

I_hate_fisicks,

I think you've got to look at the application before you start gear bashing like that. I do loads of proper rock, and for that the C4 rig works very well. But if I'm doing some small corporate stuff, then out come the E3s. I know as well as you do that the LS500s (or any 15" 4th order bandpass box) won't work too well with Slayer going through it at full chat, but since the topic title is 'discreet and loud enough for free jazz', then we've been given a different goal, and I reckon that 2-4 properly powered ls500s might just be a reasonably priced, effective solution for this. In the end though, the ball's in the OP's court - which is why he's got to listen to them and make his own mind up.

Also, as far as I am aware, Opus audio have a fairly significant range. I've only heard a CS 750 rig before, which was heavy but impressive, but I just wondered if you would be able to point us to a highly compact opus rig, with compact subs, which will cost about £7K inc vat and that you've actually heard work effectively in a similar space?

M

Yes with...

the ability to deliver short term sine wave of 100 dB SPL in half space at 1 metre.

I suppose you could have 64 per side. Which providing they couple and give a 6db increase per doubling of boxes should then be quite close to matching something like a single WSX, or Quake Sub, although would no doubt go significantly lower.

I'd suspect that footprint aside a weight of over 1tonne per side would also be a concern.

:wacko:

Rob

Archived