New Remote Controller

Tom Newman

Whoever wires it up will need to connect the "neutral" terminal to one side of the push to make switch, the "earth" terminal to the other side of the switch and one side of the indicator and the "live" terminal to the other side of the indicator. Please note that the connectors aren't being used for their intended use so don't be confused by the mention of live neutral and earth, I'm simply using them to describe the terminals and not their use.

;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're using a IEC extension with the end chopped off then a bit of insulation tape and/or heat shrink would do it. If it was being wired up from scratch then simply use 2 core cable and don't wire up the live terminal.

I'm getting there ... step by step ...

One more question: what cable would you suggest using? It'd be good if you could recommend a 2-core or 3-core type so I can choose between. Also, is an IEC connector easy to wire onto the end; and do plastic enclosures usually come with cable glands?

Cheers

Tom

1.5 mm**2 rubber cable, sold by any electrical wholesaler by the roll or possibly by the meter in smaller places.

No IECs are usually a PITA.

Most enclosures will not come with a gland (they don't know what cable you are going to use)

You may be able to sort the first two of these with something like this

which is 5m long. Just cut off the socket end & wire it in to your enclosure.

How long does it need to be?

;)

Edid - Why did the spell checker allow thr???

The connectors are a pain in the arse to wire, I would go for something like RS part no. 445-740 with a moulded plug. As another advantage they are much harder wearing and less likely to get crap in them than rewirable ones. If you're not putting an indicator in just heat shrink the brown wire to stop it coming into contact with anything.

You will need to buy a separate strain relief, part no. 543-872 should do.

IMPORTANT: THE YELLOW/GREEN WIRE IS NOT EARTH! Its probably a good idea to put a note to that affect on the inside of the box and remind whoever is wiring it up. Repeatedly.

Edit: God I'm getting slow, didn't see Marks post!

Guys

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. I've decided to go with a key switch, which is already in an enclosure, therefore it will just need to be wired appropriately. The RS part numbers are as follows, if you think anything looks dodgy, please let me know.

Enclosure & Switch 521-3655

IEC Connector/Cable 445-740

Cable Strain Relief 543-872

+ a moulded plug

Cheers

Tom

Looks fine, now for my design fee...

Ike

PS I would still fix the warning "IMPORTANT: THE YELLOW/GREEN WIRE IS NOT EARTH!" inside the case.

** laughs out loud ** ... if I had any money left ... wouldn't be a problem ... haha

I'll stick a warning notice inside the case.

Once again, thanks for all your help - I'll keep you updated and let you know if I get it working.

T

....PS I would still fix the warning "IMPORTANT: THE YELLOW/GREEN WIRE IS NOT EARTH!" inside the case.

I'll stick a warning notice inside the case.

I personally would use heat shrink to sleeve the green and yellow wire as well... - It doesn't matter what colour really as long as it isn't G/Y

Jim

...Mistake Number One

Ordered 2x Cable Grips. Didn't realise they came in packs of 25!! Now got to find a home for 49 cable grips! :** laughs out loud **:

Tom

Been there, seen it, done it, and bought the baseball cap! In my old job, I ordered 100 grommetts from RS, What actually turned up was a box of a hundred bags of 100 grommetts....

I left that job four years ago now, and I'm informed they are still dipping into that box...

Jim

Archived