The Great LED PAR can vs PAR 56 shootout

Brian

I would expect the results to be a considerable improvement over those in the O/P, but still less than a halogen lamp.

I very much doubt there would be any improvement on the budget units. All that seems to have happened there is that the price has come down to around the £40-£50 mark. The next step up is to 1W units at the £110 - £130 range. I'd hope that they would show a useful increase in performance.

I haven't measured them, but by eye I certainly find the 1W units to be a great deal brighter than the £40 units.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The E.U. will no doubt get round to banning the use of tungsten in an effort to save energy etc. so we may as well do the best we can, while we still can!! :D

Incandesants are already on their way out mate, manufacturing has ceased - you have to find halogen equivilents now.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Please help...

I have been filming drum teaching videos in a very small room (smaller than a single garage) with 5 normal (not LED) par can 300w lights and roasting my nuts off. :o I needed 5 to light different parts of the drum kit - and me. I need to get some LEDS soon but have read things here that say they are not as bright. I dont want different colours, just the normal bright light. I dont really understand watts and amps (Im only a drummer remember :) ) but need to know how much dimmer they would be. A percentage would help - eg, 80% as bright as a normal 300w par can. Would I therefore need more LEDS to achieve the same level of brightness? Finally, which type should I get? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Indy

Brightness varies with different LEDs just like with conventional lamps, but the colour with LEDS is always wrong, they cannot produce a LED with a colour rating index [CRI] of 100 which would be the same as a TH, most are around 60 which is why they always look different.I would suggest you try mr 16 12volt 50 watt dichroics, they will give you good colour fairly high efficiency and low cost.

Brightness varies with different LEDs just like with conventional lamps, but the colour with LEDS is always wrong, they cannot produce a LED with a colour rating index [CRI] of 100 which would be the same as a TH, most are around 60 which is why they always look different.I would suggest you try mr 16 12volt 50 watt dichroics, they will give you good colour fairly high efficiency and low cost.

Thanks David. 50 watts sounds a lot less than 300 watts (non LED) I have been using. Would this mean buying more of them?

Cheers, Indy

The advantage would be miminal, you will still need approx 6xMR16 to replace 1x300W, only advantage is the dichroic reflector which means that the beam is a bit cooler but the heat still goes into the room. Not worth the outlay or the work involved imho. :rolleyes:

Consider High Intensity Discharge Lamps (Metal Halide) and colour correction either via the camera or filters.

The advantage is real, because 12 volt mr 16s are more efficient than 240 volt par 56 and have a higher colour temperature and a CRI of 100.

Metal halides are expensive and lack in the red end of the spectrum and you can't dim or easily control them.

Archived